Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
192 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 189

Dennis Miller, Ross, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1939 Six, hole in back of block is for???
Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Thanks again Chris

Solid progress today, masked engine and painted it. Tomorrow, mount oil pan and then put it back on the engine hoist. I was fortunate to have nearby friends and neighbors lend me the stand and the hoist

Need to finish chassis tomorrow, all that is left is to remove the pedal cluster and shift linkage attached to the master cylinder so I can get clear access for cleaning and painting. Main reason for pulling pedal cluster off is I think the brake pedal bushing is shot, hoping it is the bushing and not the shaft. Then fun tome trying to find one! Unable to find any exploded diagrams of that assembly, just the entire assembly. Two part houses I talked to did not have that bushing, so probably McMaster for something close then down to my buddies shop that has a lathe

Pics coming soon

Posted on: 2019/10/23 19:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Good progress last 2 days, engine about ready to be mated with bell housing and transmission, hope to have it back in the car next week. Thanks to all the support out there!

And a pedal cluster question. Mine had some slop, took it apart and the shaft is worn where the frame support bracket hits the shaft, Trying to figure out the purpose in life of the large spring and washers between the bracket and the clutch pedal. Does it do more than provide the force of th e"D" shaped shaft insert into the frame?

Since I can't find a new shaft, thinking of welding a wide collar on the frame side of the support bracket which them provide far more support across the shaft than the bracket did in point contact and make up any difference in width with 7/8" diameter shims

Comments or even better, a source for that shaft?

Attach file:

jpg  (97.84 KB)
111944_5db38e18de58f.jpg 1008X756 px

Posted on: 2019/10/25 19:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Sorry no help on your question but just wondering hows that engine stand working out?
Wes

Posted on: 2019/10/26 12:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The last picture should have everybody responding.

The breather pipe is missing.

Posted on: 2019/10/26 12:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tim, I don't understand your comment, the breather pipe is simply not installed yet. Perhaps you're thinking it should be attached to the rear tappet cover but that's not the case with this motor.

Posted on: 2019/10/26 13:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Actually, on this engine, the breather comes from the fitting on the right rear of the block, through a copper tube to a PVC valve into the intake manifold, go figure!

Posted on: 2019/10/26 13:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Engine stand worked out great. Next challenge is to finish assy, bell housing, flywheel, pressure plate clutch, throwout and transmission while dangling from the engine hoist!

Posted on: 2019/10/26 13:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi John,

Looks great. I forget what year your car/motor is, but regardless, I definitely would not put the crankcase breather on until after the engine is sitting squarely in the engine bay. It is a fairly tight fit as it is (with bell housing and tranny attached) and the breather tube is just 'one more thing' to catch and snag on everything, possibly getting damaged in the process. (be extra careful with the accelerator linkage when lowering it in as it is really easy to damage) Re 'inserting' the transmission, Napa sells a universal shaft adapter to center the clutch disc. It is 'cheap like chips' and really helps unless you happen to have a spare Packard splined shaft to use. It has different bushings to match up with your pilot bearing hole. I found leaving the pressure plate bolts loose so the plate JUST held the disc in place and centering it by eye, then fine tuning it with the adapter shaft and the tranny slid right in.
You say the breather leads to a PCV valve? I haven't seen that setup before. Mine just bolts on where that large nut is just aft of the rear tappet cover and has an anchoring bracket that shares a bolt with the clutch trash cover and exhausts straight down, towards the ground. I can see why Tim thought it was missing, but it is simply, as Dave says, not yet installed, nor should it be. I tried to find a decent picture of mine but could only come up with this one showing it in place. It looks like that nut on your motor is set up for a flare or compression fitting, John. Do you think it is a factory setup? Chris

Attach file:

jpg  (251.16 KB)
121627_5db4a98319da3.jpg 1732X1154 px

Posted on: 2019/10/26 15:19
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
The breather is a short run, next to the block up to the manifold. Manifolds aren't going on till after I have this all in the car. Front clip is completely off, ie: both inner and outer fenders and of course the grill.
IMO, I don't believe this was a factory install as whoever drilled the manifold did a pretty crappy job.

I am redoing the entire firewall as well, so everything is off of it, including the throttle linkage which I just finished restoring.

I have the tools that align that, thanks.

Posted on: 2019/10/26 17:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Here is what the PVC setup looks like

Attach file:

jpg  (198.36 KB)
111944_5db4caa67a1f8.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2019/10/26 17:37
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved