Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 117

BigKev, 29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Just a Story
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

doug madden
See User information
Let me take a minute to introduce myself. My name is Brenda and I am Paka40 (Doug's) partner in life. I can't think of a better place then on this forum to tell our story as I believe some of you will understand and enjoy this little tale of desertion, love and healing.
I will start with the bare facts as it is needed to make this all understandable and complete.

In January of this year, Doug asked me to find him a car. Stipulations were...pre-war, suicide doors, good body...a complete car. Running condition, make and model did not matter. Well, I'm fairly new to this relationship and had no knowledge or interest in old-classic cars. I've never been to a Car Show. Doug has been into cars (classics, antiquities, hot-rods) all his life!
Well, I found one!! A 1940 Packard 110 Sedan 1800 series. The ad said it "ran like a kitten". Sounds good, right?! Doug shied away from it. A Packard he has never had and has no experience with. Needless to say, he was not impressed. Over time, he agreed to call. Three times the man sold it and the deals fell through.
On February 14th we both lost our jobs as the company we worked for went into receivership. To perk up our spirits, we took a 4-hour drive to take a look at this Packard. It didn't "run like a kitten". It didn't start but something said: "take me home with you." Nothing was working bumper to bumper. On March 16th, Doug and a buddy made the drive again and trailered "the beast" home during a snow storm. Once home, we were able to go through paperwork and find one other previous owner. We found out the car was taken off the road in 1964, not running, and stored in quantums and barns every since.

Those are the facts...now the good stuff...

5 weeks later, she's up and running. On the road and certified.."The beast" as we call her, is 99 percent original, a true survivor! She is driven every day of the week now. Car Shows 4 - 5 days a week. She gets driven 1 - 2 hours at the end of the day. On the weekends our adventures take us 200 - 300 miles in and around Ontario. Doug tweaks her on the roadside and checks her over every night when we get home so she's ready for the next day. Doug is no mechanic, but he'll do preventative maintenance example, pulling off the brake drums every 2 weeks checking for leaks ect... She has never seen the inside of a mechanic's garage.

On May 1st this year, I was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. I spent the entire summer having chemo treatments, the fall I had surgery and now starting radiation. This time capsule has been my saviour... Each and every time we are out in the Packard, my fears, my anxiety and my pain disappears. It has helped me heal beyond any explanation. In our travels throughout Ontario, we have never seen another pre-war Packard. When we are at car shows, people touch and feel the experiences we feel. They sit in the backseat and the joy I see on their faces is amazing. Old folks get in and you can see the memories coming back to them of "grandpa's old car". It is invigorating to see the excitement people get as much as we do. I smile, I laugh, I am healing...Our lifestyle allows us to venture out late at night to early morning with no traffic, listening to '40s/'50's country music and loving every minute of it.
Doug has developed a great respect for Packard by ride and handling. He has had 1930's up to 1980 vehicles over a 50-year span but, and these are his words, "this one, along with our adventures, has been the most memorable."

There are more adventures to come, with a deserted beast, a healing woman and a man who loves us both!!!

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you all at the Packard Forum once again for your guidance, various opinions and part. You are with us each and every time we are out. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Posted on: 2019/10/30 17:32
 Top  Print 

Re: Just a Story
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Thanks for a great Packard story. The healing power of a Packard. We all know it.

We have a member of our Oregon region with a 110 sedan that's preservation, also. It belongs to our tour master! He drives it to almost every monthly meeting and on tours, of course.

See pages 22 and 25
https://www.packardsoforegon.net/Clipper/2ndQuarter2019_1UP_Web.pdf

You are certainly a beautiful Packard person, Brenda. Sounds like Doug is also.

I'm going to share it with someone who says, "It's always something with that car." (Which is true, BTW.)

Posted on: 2019/10/30 20:02
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

doug madden
See User information
Thank you ...

Posted on: 2019/10/30 20:21
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Good luck Brenda with your chemo. My oldest daughter is undergoing same treatment. I have three Packards, but enjoy my 400 the most as I've driven it everywhere. I hope you get as much enjoyment from yours as I do from mine.

Posted on: 2019/10/30 23:45
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

doug madden
See User information
My thoughts are with you and your daughter. Keep a positive attitude, cancer breeds on negativity....a drive works great too..lol

Posted on: 2019/10/31 5:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim in Boone
See User information
Wishing you the best, Brenda. You're fighting a health battle that isn't much fun, fought mine some years ago (colon) and fortunately still here to tell about it, chemo is yucky, lucky I didn't have to deal with radiation. May all be smooth for you.

I grew up around a Packard and owned several when they were just used cars and not something collected, in old age I'm back in the fold with a 48 sedan and a 40 business coupe, unfortunately I'm not as successful with getting out and enjoying them and you and Doug, keep having fun with yours.

Posted on: 2019/10/31 6:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Bless your heart Brenda, (Jim too) you made my day.
best regards
Steve

Posted on: 2019/10/31 9:59
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
May you guys have many years to enjoy your Packard. Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2019/10/31 11:42
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Brenda and Doug

Thanks for sharing your story with us. Its quite heartening to know you and Doug have found great joy in your '40 110, especially at this difficult juncture in your lives. Please keep us apprised of your further Packard adventures with photos too, and progress as you're on the mend to good health again.

Steve

Posted on: 2019/10/31 12:31
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

doug madden
See User information
I'm so happy we made your day. That's what it is all about. 😆😆

Posted on: 2019/10/31 12:59
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved