Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
93 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 92

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

37 gas pedal
Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
Ever since I can remember, the gas pedal on the 115C has felt a little balky when it starts to travel from foot off the pedal until just before it starts to actually travel. Almost like it resists for a second then gives in and starts to depress. I removed the pedal, which I assume is original. The top of the pedal did not feel as if it was secured when I lifted it off, whereas the bottom of the pedal felt as if it was secured to the pins. The two floor pins on the bottom end of the pedal appear to be smaller than the ball end on the linkage. However, holes on each end of the pedal appear to be the same size. Was the rubber much more flexible once and therefore allowed the linkage ball to seat itself in one of the upper holes or is there something else I'm missing? I can not find a picture of this part (the pedal) in the 1935-1941 parts list book but I do find the part number entry.

Attach file:

jpg  (776.69 KB)
199039_5dc1c624ef306.jpg 1920X1920 px

Posted on: 2019/11/5 13:57
 Top  Print 

Re: 37 gas pedal
Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
Floor pins and linkage end.

Attach file:

jpg  (586.54 KB)
199039_5dc1c6699379e.jpg 1920X1920 px

Posted on: 2019/11/5 13:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The pedal in the photo is an aftermarket replacement.
The original has just two lower holes for the mounting balls and one upper for the linkage.

Posted on: 2019/11/5 14:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Doesn't Steele Rubber Products sell replacement gas pedals? Or do they just repair old originals? Chris.

Posted on: 2019/11/5 20:57
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Steele only offers a revulcanizing service to your original steel plate. For less money Kanter offers a repro ribbed pedal assy the style of which I believe was used starting around the 39-40 models and went thru 54. It does not use the lower end ball mounts in the 37 photo above so the Kanter option will require using the later style end bracket with thru pin which is included with the pedal kit.

Posted on: 2019/11/5 21:15
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Yeah, I thought it was something like that Howard. FWIW, I bought a NOS pedal from David Moe of Seattle Packard and I know there are different views and opinions on dealing with him, but I didn't have any trouble and the pedal I received attached to the two metal balls and the top 'actuator' end of the gas linkage. Because it was NOS, the rubber was pretty hard, but I soaked it in boiling water and lubed the holes with dish soap and got them to pop on without splitting. Works perfectly now... along with a bit of a lube and tune-up on the linkage system at the same time. Chris.

Posted on: 2019/11/5 22:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
I bit the bullet and ordered a replacement Packard part pedal from Max Merrit this week. Until it arrives, the old one will suffice then serve as a standby.

Thanks for the help.

Posted on: 2019/11/9 8:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Good deal Cartrich, I don't think you'll be sorry re the new pedal. Nice looking coupe BTW - nice to see you maintaining the legacy with the car that your Dad started. Chris

Posted on: 2019/11/9 12:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
Update- I received and installed the Packard gas pedal from Max Merrit late last night. Fits like a glove and no grunting and swearing trying to get it to a position where it would function like the after market version it replaces. The only downside is that I don't have an OEM core to send back to them. My fault, not theirs. First road test this Sunday, weather permitting.

Attach file:

jpg  (756.82 KB)
199039_5dcea1434eb38.jpg 1920X1920 px

Posted on: 2019/11/15 7:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
What happened to the original one in the pic at the top of thread?

Posted on: 2019/11/15 12:31
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved