Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
98 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 95

r1lark, TxGoat, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

'37 120C Steering Wheel installation
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
Hello, again. Does anyone have any information on removing the hex shaped splined nut on the steering column so that the steering wheel might be installed? I cannot see where this piece slides out and over the threaded portion of the shaft. The way it appears to me is that this splined nut goes in after the steering wheel has been set onto the splines and forced into place. The second nut then goes onto the shaft after the splined nut goes on and is there to hold everything in place. However, the puller I have is not budging the splined nut. Does anyone have any "tricks of the trade" to get this off, or is my analysis of the situation incorrect?/
Again, thanks to all for any information you might be able to provide.

Posted on: 2019/11/27 11:09
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Re: '37 120C Steering Wheel installation
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary Kulp
See User information
Are you speaking of the standard steering wheel or the accessory wire spoke or banjo steering wheel? The standard wheel has only a nut bolting it to the horn pocket and steering wheel. The banjo steering wheel uses an adapter nut or spacer nut sleeve,then the final nut holding the horn button pocket or cup.

Attach file:

jpg  (415.46 KB)
26305_5ddff9ba6acd7.jpg 1484X1920 px

Posted on: 2019/11/28 11:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
Thank you for the information. I do have a banjo steering wheel which I had bought from a third party years ago because the steering wheel that originally came on the car was missing when the car was delivered to me. I'm attaching photos of the steering column and steering wheel showing my current situation. I do think that my steering wheel does fit over the spline on the column except for that large hex nut that is attached there. I have saved the attachment you sent for further study and if you do have any further information concerning this I would greatly appreciate it. Since I am limited to the size of the attachments, I'm only sending one of each shot. If you have an e-mail address, I can send you the rest of the pictures.
Thanks again.

Attach file:

jpg  (300.41 KB)
43144_5de01aec7d311.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (144.14 KB)
43144_5de01b22b0fef.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (178.24 KB)
43144_5de01b7ec3602.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/11/28 14:10
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
That additional large hexnut is essentially a spacer to compensate for the difference between the standard and banjo wheel, as the bulletin Gary K posted describes. Carry on...

Posted on: 2019/11/28 16:10
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary Kulp
See User information
The spacer has to be threaded which is what holds your steering wheel on tight. The nut is threaded to the adapter, only to hold the horn pocket plate, down on the steering wheel.

Posted on: 2019/11/28 20:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
Thanks. So, from what I see and what you are saying, the large hex nut then can be removed by some means in order to install the banjo steering wheel. I'll get my puller back out and see if I can jar it loose, unless someone out there has another method for my first attempt would not remove the large hex nut.
Thanks, again.

Posted on: 2019/11/29 10:39
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Wheaties and your favorite PB-Blaster or Acetone/trans mix...

Posted on: 2019/11/29 10:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information

Posted on: 2019/11/29 14:39
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
Again, I thank you. My greatest fear was that the steering wheel that I bought from a third party years ago really did not go on my car. You have alleviated those concerns. And, again, I do thank you.

Posted on: 2019/11/29 15:20
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looking at the photo of the wheel something I would suggest is get a small wire brush that will fit inside the opening to clean the splines on the wheel well. Probably wouldn't hurt to run it over the shaft too so the wheel can slide to the proper depth without the nut having to force it down.

Posted on: 2019/11/29 15:32
Howard
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved