Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 102

DavidM, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Help with Overdrive
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ray Allegrezza
See User information
Thanks in advance for any and all help. Finally getting to address the issue of my non-functioning Overdrive in my 1952 Packard 200. Someone on here, thank you, helped me determine that part of the problem was that there seems to be no kickdown switch. When I bought the car, there were some wires running from the tranny to the firewall, connected to nothing. I do have the relay with what seems to be a good fuse.

It was suggested that I can get a universal kickdown switch from Napa and was told to order part OD6284. My question is twofold. 1. Assuming this is the correct part, where does it mount.

2. When I went to Napa online and called up the parthttps://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ECHOD6284 it says it is for an automatic transmission and I have a manual, three speed.

Any advice would be wonderful. Thanks and I apologize in advance if this is a very basic question. Thanks to all!

Posted on: 2019/12/11 6:58
 Top  Print 

Re: Help with Overdrive
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
That is the correct switch. The days are over when NAPA knew what they had when talking about this old stuff. You will need to buy two nuts that fit the shank so you can mount it on the bracket right where the push rod from the gas pedal comes through the floor. Install it so when the pedal is pushed all but to the floor the plunger is depressed. The lower terminals connect to the governor and to the relay and the uppers connect to terminal (?) on the solenoid and to the positive terminal on the ignition coil. I'll bet Howard has the diagram at his fingertips and can post it.

Posted on: 2019/12/11 7:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I installed an R11 OD in my 38 coupe and I don't run a kickdown switch. I have a toggle switch on the dash to make or break the connection from the governor to the relay. With the connection to the relay and governor in the "on" position and going over about 25 MPH I just lift or the gas for a second and I'm in OD. To get out of OD just flip the switch to "off" and touch the clutch. I find that I very rarely need to get out of OD.

Posted on: 2019/12/11 8:54
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Didn't they use to sell a manual cable you could install if your solinoid was bad? Anymore I think you can have the solinoids rewound.

Posted on: 2019/12/11 9:35
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I'll bet Howard has the diagram at his fingertips and can post it.

Here is the switch location and the 51-4 diagram. Just be sure to identify the wires so you do not mix up the circuits. The ign cutoff wires go on the top two terminals of the switch and the wires connecting the governor and lockout switch to the relay coil go on the bottom two terminals.

Quote:
Didn't they use to sell a manual cable you could install if your solinoid was bad?

I have never ran across anything that replaces the solenoid mechanically in the OD configuration Packard used. Maybe another mfg had a different arrangement but on Packards the original lockout cable moves a lever outside the case which engages a mechanism internally to prevent the solenoid from sliding the pawl into mesh with the OD gears and at the same time locks those gears together as a solid unit when lockout is desired.

To replace the solenoid function when OD is desired it would take another knob and cable plus quite a bit more of a mechanism besides just a cable outside for something to replace the solenoid and extend inside the case to move the pawl. You would also need to contend with how to release the engine torque at the proper time so the pawl could slide in or out. Since the ign cutout circuit would have to go thru the mechanism something to time that function so the engine would not die could be a bit interesting.

Attach file:

jpg  (48.80 KB)
209_5df10cba38e11.jpg 768X593 px

jpg  (32.72 KB)
209_5df10cd1e72ee.jpg 637X358 px

Posted on: 2019/12/11 10:35
Howard
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ray Allegrezza
See User information
Thank you all for the advice and help. I will get the switch at NAPA and report back. thanks again!

Posted on: 2019/12/14 9:24
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved