Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 142

humanpotatohybrid, tuskman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

39 Starter noise
Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
OK, confused. Just rebuilt engine and dropped back into car. Hooked up all cables and with out plugs, spun the engine to be certain I have oil pressure before starting it up.

Starter is making an awful noise, similar to the solenoid racket when you have low voltage. Bypassed the solenoid and noise persists.

Pulled starter out, verified distance from flange to edge of gear is same as bell housing flange to flywheel.
Did notice Bendix was stuck in "start" or "Engage" mode.

Pulled nose cone off, cleaned everything up and seems OK now. There is some slop in pinion to shaft, so will need to get that fixed. Front nose bushing seems fine.,
Prior to engine pull, did compression test, no problem and no noise

SO, what did I miss in reassembly? I do not recall any shims anywhere. Find it realty difficult to believe starter went bad sitting on the bench for 3 months

Posted on: 2019/12/15 21:54
 Top  Print 

Re: 39 Starter noise
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Check out the anti kickback Bendix shown on page 35 of this 52 service counselor.http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL26NO9.pdf

It says the Bendix can be retrofitted as far back as the 20th series but it might be possible it would also work on earlier starters and maybe it or a later starter was installed on your 17th series. The symptom of the pinion appearing to stay out in the engage position is a characteristic if the engine did not start and spin it backwards fast enough to lift the pin and spiral the assy back to the rest position.

Posted on: 2019/12/15 23:38
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Thanks, I'll dig into this further. Looks very similar to what I have now. Does not explain noise developing after sitting on bench for 3 months. Frustrating!!!

Posted on: 2019/12/16 0:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Turned out to be a cracked pinion gear !

Posted on: 2019/12/17 20:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information

Posted on: 2019/12/18 7:03
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved