Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
79 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 79

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Hello from a new member
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Ian McGee
See User information
Hello everybody.

I thought I'd post a quick message to say Hello. My name is Ian and I'm a new member from Montreal, Canada. I found this site a few days ago and joined immediately.

I just bought a 1937 Packard Twelve Model 1507 Club Sedan as a restoration project. I hope to restore it to its original condition eventually.

The car is in pretty rough shape, and will require a complete frame-off restoration, including the mechanics. Should keep me busy for the next ten years or so, I figure!
I'm used to little British cars like MG's, and the size of this beast is intimidating me!

The sheetmetal is not too rusty, but the wood frame is rotten. Luckily, a lot of replacement wood came with the car. Mechanically, everything major is there but it will all have to be gone over and rebuilt.

I don't know a lot about the history of the car. I got it from Pennsylvania in late 2006. The owner had bought it from Iowa a couple of years earlier. The car has one 1953 Iowa licence plate on it. I think it's been off the road since then. The plate under the hood says it was sold new by Seattle Packards, so it's really been around!

You can see a picture of the other side and some more details in the Owner Registry section.

If anyone knows anything about the history of my car, or just wants to chat, I look forward to hearing from you,

Regards

Ian

Attach file:

jpg  (54.54 KB)
239_466e030965fad.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2007/6/11 21:20
 Top  Print   

Re: Hello from a new member
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Ian -

Welcome to THE BEST online forum for Packard owners everywhere!

My focus is on the V8s, but I can appreciate the prewar cars as a spectator. I think you have a good project car that will turn a lot of heads up there in The Great White North - and that's coming from someone who finds the most joy in working on his cars.

Your car is bound to generate a lot of discussion and attract the attention of more prewar owners. Don't be shy about asking questions. This forum, unlke others, is fully archived and searchable, and answers to your question may help another future owner. You can also document your progress (and toot your own horn) in the Project Blogs Forum.

If you haven't done so already, please add your car and to the growing Owner Registery here. Feel free to download any information in the articles section or upload whatever you have to offer - this site all about sharing experience and info to help keep these fine cars on the road.

Posted on: 2007/6/11 22:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Hi Ian,

Welcome, I too am new at this having recently purchased a '38 120 Sedan. It was restored by the previous owner 20 years ago and is registered for full road use which I intend to follow with some restrictions mainly weather and/or traffic conditions being favorable. So, although I don't have the task that you have ahead of you, I am now on the lookout for a Pre-WW2 Packard as a restoration project for my retirement at the end of July.

Mal AKA Ozstatman
Sydney Australia

Posted on: 2007/6/12 3:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Hello IAN,

Welcome aboard. It nice to see another PREWAR buff register here. Keep us informed on your progress.

Posted on: 2007/6/12 6:44
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Ian McGee
See User information
Hey, guys

I just want to say a big thank you for the nice welcome. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions to ask over the next few years as I restore this beauty. My hope is to eventually have something I can drive fairly regularly during the summer.

Ian

Posted on: 2007/6/13 22:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Ian, welcome to THE forum. What a great project. I am a V8 owner but appreciate all years of Packards. Start a blog to document your progress. Others will be able to learn from your experiences.

Posted on: 2007/6/14 6:08
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

John C Brattain
See User information
Ian:
Congrats on the find! I am just south of Seattle, and have a friend Roy, who had Seattle Packard (the restoration shop, not the dealership) for several years. We are getting together this weekend to take my 47 Clipper to show up the RR owners club, I'll print your pic and info and see if he knows anything about the car. He's an amazing source of info on things Packard in the Seattle area. See: "At the State Capitol" in recent photos for my Custom Super Eigth. I think a guy by tne name of David Moe has bought out the inventory that Roy had,and is using Packard Seattle, or something like that as a website, I'll see if I can found out more about that for you, too
Good luck--love to hear those 12's purr.

Posted on: 2007/6/14 10:03
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Ian McGee
See User information
Hi, Stapletonscar,

Thank you for your post! You and the others on this forum sure have made me feel welcome!
Since you may be able to help with some history on my car, I'd like to get in touch with you, if you don't mind.
I can give you some more details about the car.
I just sent you a private message with my e-mail, etc.
Please take a look.
Regards
Ian

Posted on: 2007/6/14 17:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Ian: Congradulations on the purchase of the Packard. As I live in Pennsylvania, were in Pennsylvania did you purchase your Packard.

You stated that your Packard is 1507 Club Sedan. The car has a wheel base of 139 inch wheel base. The body style number of your Packard is 1036. Your Packard cost $3,560 brand new, with a shipping weight of 5,520 lbs.

Ihave been a Packard fan for along time and a 1953 Packard owner, however I have a great love of pre-war Packards. When you get your car running you will certainly experience a feeling, few people have the pleasure of doing. Riding in a V12 powered Packard is something that I have done twice in the past.

Here is a picture that I took last weekend, that will show you the beaty of a restored Packard V12 engine.

John F. Shireman

Attach file:

jpg  (48.10 KB)
105_4671e71851cd7.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2007/6/14 20:10
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Ian McGee
See User information
Hi Everybody,

I've been away from the hobby and this website for a long time, and my Packard has been in storage. Life got in the way for a while, I guess...

Since I'm losing my storage space his year I decided it's time to bring the car home and start the restoration, and also to get back into this website.

I was going to write something to introduce myself and the car, but I looked around and discovered this half-forgotten thread from seven years ago.

Since everything I said back then is still valid, I figured I'd just bump this to the top rather than writing the same thing over again. The car is still exactly as it was when I put it away - only the owner has a few more grey hairs!

I'd like to thank BigKev for helping me revive my long-dormant forum membership, and also the others I have talked to on the forum and the Facebook page over the last few days. I really appreciate the interest being shown in my car. Once I get started on the job I'll try to start a project blog like some of he others I've been reading, but it might not be for a couple of months.

Thanks a lot
Ian McGee

Posted on: 2014/4/13 1:48
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved