Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

After market A/C
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information

Posted on: 2020/1/18 11:54
 Top  Print 

Re: After market A/C
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Let the ride decide,

Interesting approach to 'aftermarket AC', and not to be critical, but that seems like a most ungainly bit of business to try and 'stuff' under the dash of a car, especially an older Packard that was already space-challenged due to the arrow shaped front end. And if the whole system is contained in that unit, I'm thinking it would probably be pretty loud, too. Just my 2 cents worth, like I say - interesting concept, thanks for posting. Chris

Posted on: 2020/1/18 19:45
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Chris, believe it or not that is the typical size of most of the hang on under dash units and maybe even a bit smaller than a couple of them. AC was in it's infancy and all kind of things were tried to package a universal add on refrigeration unit large enough to cool the entire car but small enough to fit in them.

A whole other category is the inexpensive evaporative units that were popular in desert areas -- some were a large square cube that sat on the hump and had to be filled with water or frozen ice containers and another was a round cylinder like object that hung on the side of the door and funneled cooled air thru the slightly lowered window. Those cylinders were also filled with water and a periodic rewetting of the evaporative pad was done by pulling a cord to rotate the pad thru the water tank. Let me tell you, unless it is Saturday night and you want a bath anyway one DOES NOT pull the cord fast to do the rewet while the car is going down the road at 60 mph.

Posted on: 2020/1/18 21:00
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I had a couple of the floor-type coolers and they worked amazingly well. Unlike the window type, these were electric so had fans to move air even when stopped or in slow traffic.

There was a pump that filtered water down through a mesh in the sides and when air was pulled through it, there was an evaporative cooling effect. It sat on the front hump and had adjustable legs that would be extended down to give it support.

This photo is from eBay but one of mine was identical with map pockets, cup folders and even a bottle opener on the right side!

Attach file:

jpeg  (122.19 KB)
60923_5e249712ab383.jpeg 1693X1247 px

Posted on: 2020/1/19 12:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Howard, Don,

I certainly 'get it' re these things being 'what there was', at the time, and I suppose for the state-of-the-art of A/C in our car's era, they were probably considered pretty progressive, even amazing. I always look at all these after-market add-ons with an eye to evaluating their practicality and functionality. There are countless ideas marketed to add features to a car that it didn't come with from the factory, and I'd concede some of them are downright brilliant. But being a guy who won't even put a bumper sticker on a car and who will go more than an extra mile to 'stay factory', I just look at all these 'Popular Mechanics-style' aftermarket concepts as being a bit gimmicky. Of course, just my humble opinion, and I know there will be those out there who disagree, otherwise there'd be no market for any of these products, right?? Chris.

Posted on: 2020/1/19 14:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The good thing about the "swamp coolers" is that there is no installation or modifications to the car required and even often sold by the dealers themselves. In other words, there is no change to a car's originality because they car itself remains as it was.

Posted on: 2020/1/19 14:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Yes, that's DEFINITELY a plus, Don! A gaping hole in a dash from a jury-rigged attempt at installing aftermarket A/C would be a whole lot more of a 'fix', wouldn't it??!?!? Chris.

Posted on: 2020/1/19 14:26
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Bad thing about swamp coolers is they won't work in the humid areas which probably encompasses 2/3 of the country. That is where refrigeration AC being able to remove the humidity is most appreciated. While they can bring the interior to a tolerable comfort level in a dry climate they won't work well even in dry areas if the windows in the car are closed and trying to keep excess hot air out. The ice type units do a better job but even then in a closed car it doesn't take long to turn the hot but dry interior into a hot and now muggy interior.

Posted on: 2020/1/19 15:07
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I've read that but it hasn't been my experience as I used to use mine in wet Washington State where I lived when I first started buying Packards. Possibly it would have worked better where dry but it worked well there too. That was just a couple blocks east of where the Microsoft campus is now even though they are in Redmond and I was in Bellevue.

Posted on: 2020/1/19 15:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I distinctly remember one of those installed on the hump of our new 1961 Ford on the way to Las Vegas. In the middle of the Mohave Desert my mother made my father turn it off and open the windows. The interior of the car was like the Deep South in August. They really didn't work (at least the model we had didn't).

Posted on: 2020/1/20 12:10
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved