Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: 1937 wheel cylinders
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
I always spend a little extra money and have the wheel and master cylinders sleeved with brass, you will never have a pitting problem from rust again

Posted on: 2020/5/13 21:25

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David
See User information
I called Kanter today and they do not have listing for a rear break rebuild kit ..

so now i guess to get me back on the road for the time ..
Does anyone know what the modern part number is for the rear rubber line is ?

Posted on: 2020/5/14 16:22
Daily Driving a 1937 115c TS
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information

Posted on: 2020/5/14 20:11
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David
See User information
thank you Mr Flack

Posted on: 2020/5/15 1:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
I just wanted to provide some information on our master cylinder rebuild kits that we offer. The kits contents is based off original rebuild kits from Packard. These did not include the copper washer as mentioned in a previous post. In many cases these can be re-used with no ill effect. The copper is soft enough take up any imperfections in the mating surfaces. They should only need to be replaced if cracked or split. In fact many of the aftermarkets manufacturers of the era like EIS and Wagner did not include them. Here is a recent ebay listing for a NOS rebuild kit from Packard.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1951-1952-1953-1954-Packard-NOS-Master-Cylinder-Kit-/351273422450

James From
Kanter Auto Products

Posted on: 2020/5/18 8:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I would not even consider putting brakes back together without new copper seals where required. Sure, back when these cars were new and were unlikely to have ever been disassembled it was okay to reuse them but after all these decades and possibly many times being disassembled and recompressed, they are due to be replaced. They're cheap but lives are not so by all means replace them even if the supplier did not include them in their kit!

Posted on: 2020/5/18 16:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Good point Don. I agree, new copper washers are the way to go. However, annealing old ones will restore the copper's softness and make the washers safely useable again. But new is better.

Posted on: 2020/5/19 14:03
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Annealing will soften them but it won't expand them once compressed too thin to be of any good use. In the case of brakes, replacing is far better than attempted refurbishing any day.

Posted on: 2020/5/19 14:07
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David
See User information
ok ready to put in all new parts ... but i dont have a socket that fits the hub/axle nut ... what size is it..

its bigger than 1 1/16 i know ..

Thanks
David

Posted on: 2020/6/1 1:47
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved