Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Cloth covered wire
Home away from home
Home away from home

wjames
See User information
Any body got a source for really good reproduction wire. I was at Hersey and it seemed all they had was really cheap wire that they put cloth around and charged a horrendous price for. Don't mind paying for the good stuff

"If you buy good quality products in first time, you are only pissed off about it once"

W

Posted on: 2020/2/24 9:35
 Top  Print 

Re: Cloth covered wire
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I doubt there are very many companies who still manufacture the covered wire so finding a wide selection of qualities might be a problem. It has been a few years since I bought but at the time I made the purchases most came from Rhode Island Wiring. Check out their supplies page.http://www.riwire.com A couple of sizes with a specific tracer color or stripe configuration RI did not stock I was able to find at YnZ.https://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com As I recall, all the wire was decent copper stranded and priced competitively.

A downside to either company is unless things have changed since my purchase, RI has no online ordering capability which means a phone call and YnZ has a minimum order which is higher than just a length or two of wire costs -- but they do have other supplies if you need more to make a minimum.

Posted on: 2020/2/24 10:02
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Harnesses Unlimted
http://www.harnessesunlimited.com

"We can also supply authentic wiring supplies for those who chose to build their own wiring system or for those who are restoring boats. We can provide a braiding service to cover the wiring harness(es) you make with the original cloth covering. Refer to wire and harness materials for more information."

Posted on: 2020/2/24 11:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
My vote is the same as HH56's, that is, Rhode Island Wiring. When I bought many gauges and covering color/tracer combinations (maybe 30 items in total) I sent them a listing of the items via e-mail . . . that was after calling them for instructions. I also got to talk to the young lady that had fabricated the harness in my '48 years before. At the time I was trying to talk them into showing the circuit breaker in the headlight circuit (didn't happen).

Brillman also carries bulk cotton braided wire (many gauges, many color/tracer patterns). As with all of these products you get a modern PVC covered copper wire that has been over-branded with a single braid of cotton. It is not the old school rubber under cotton, or cotton alone wiring that turns to powder.

Sacramento Vintage Ford also carries the product. At one time SVF's website had photos of various employees running machines that supposedly were adding the over-braid. If they still locally apply the cotton then perhaps a 'non-stock' (from the Ford perspective) could be run if you have a specific color and tracer pattern that isn't carried by the others.

Rhode Island website shows many many tracer combinations, which in my mind, suggest they too over-braid locally. When you consider the number of gauges, back-ground colors, tracer colors, and tracer patterns that would be an inventory nightmare. Much better to set-up the loom, and load the bobbins.

Posted on: 2020/2/24 17:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

wjames
See User information
Thanks guys
This site is the best
W

Posted on: 2020/2/25 9:13
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved