Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 122

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1935, 1201 fuel tank sender
Home away from home
Home away from home

AJS
See User information
I need a new sender for my 1935 Eight 1201 Phaeton. I took the fuel tank out, removed the sender and called Max Merritt, sadly the reproductions they make are not right for my tank. My question is does anyone know how many OHMS the original sender should be. I connected an after market universal sender I had to the fuel gauge and nothing, my original will move the gauge from empty to full but the needle bounced quite a bit and is not very stable. The gauge worked previously with periods of a bouncing needle, then fine. It stopped working completely and this was probably from the cork float that was looking pretty bad when I removed the sender. I want to get the car back together ASAP and an aftermarket universal sender may be the best way to go. I am hoping one of you wise folks knows the maximum ohms required to make this gauge work. My original sender seems to read no higher then 34 ohms with the sender float arm in the empty position
Thx.
Andy

Attach file:

jpeg  (551.63 KB)
81104_5e54ada352858.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/2/25 0:16
 Top  Print 

Re: 1935, 1201 fuel tank sender
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
A quick internet search yielded:

http://www.mykmlifestyle.com/KM_Lifestyle_Fuel_Senders.html

bobsspeedometer.com

I have no experience with either business. Perhaps other members of this site can offer other ideas.

Posted on: 2020/2/25 7:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information

Posted on: 2020/2/25 9:41
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Second the suggestion to see if KM Lifestyle can help. A few posters here have bought from them and while I believe one poster said there was some confusion on a sender I don't recall it being a big issue that went unresolved.http://www.mykmlifestyle.com/KM_Lifestyle_Fuel_Senders.html

Posted on: 2020/2/25 9:47
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Assuming your unit is repairable, my preference would be to have it rebuilt by Wolf & Co.

Posted on: 2020/2/25 18:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

AJS
See User information
Thank you for all the suggestions. The long wait time to have it rebuilt has me thinking that if I can get a universal unit with the correct OHM range I will just put one of those in, then get mine rebuilt.The thought of having the car down for 8 weeks which is the time required by one vendor I contacted so far, awaiting responses from the others, I don't want the car down that long if avoidable.

Posted on: 2020/2/26 0:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

AJS
See User information
The cork float was completely degraded, it crumbled in my hand. The rivet washer on the inside of the unit had fallen off, I think this may have caused some of the troubles. I cleaned everything, the rheostat was not going anywhere, so I just removed the loose rivet.I added a modern float and now the gauge working great.

Attach file:

jpeg  (465.91 KB)
81104_5e6458caccb56.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (317.38 KB)
81104_5e645a18737b8.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/3/7 21:36
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved