Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
175 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 175

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: top speed for a 21 super clipper with 356 cu. in
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I don't know how official it would be for Germany but maybe one of the world-wide Packard Clubs would be willing to write something formal-looking on the Packard letterhead that might be accepted. It's just a thought.

Posted on: 2020/3/1 13:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
It depends on the condition of the engine. An engine in worn condition may not have the horsepower to pull the overdrive at higher speeds.

It works like this: For the Packard motor at least 45% of the power output is used just to make the crankshaft go around. The horsepower required for a given speed is fixed. So if you reduce the engine speed 20% you reduce the amount of fuel required to turn the motor - hence the term Econo-Drive. The fuel required to maintain the speed is still the same.

As well, if the overdrive puts the motor rpm below the level required for a given speed the car will not go any faster regardless. This actually is a fairly common result. Take some modern cars with paddle shifters. Some of them go faster in the next lower gear.

Posted on: 2020/3/2 9:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Aerodynamics also plays a role in top speed.

Posted on: 2020/3/2 9:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I think he's talking about the official rated top speed, not what it might do now.

Posted on: 2020/3/2 10:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
This is the inscrutable index of the Packard Club magazine. Only by searching the text was I able to find the article which is in Issue 66 on Page 10.

https://www.packardclub.org/download/PAC_Cormorant_Index_through_issue_177.pdf

Clipper vs Cadillac: a 1947 Comparison by Michael G.H. Scott

For $8 (plus extra postage for Germany probably) you can get a back issue:

Ordering Back Issues
Back issues are available as listed on the back page of each Cormorant magazine. Back issues are $8 each, postpaid. Send order with a check made out to The Packard Club to: Drusilla Carter, 13 Falknor Drive, Manchester, CT 06040.

Email: packardgirl@hotmail.com

Perhaps some kindly person who has that issue (1992?) would snap a photo of each page of the article and PM it to you.

Posted on: 2020/3/2 13:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I remembered a situation today from years ago.

Billy Hirsch got in a race on the Garden State Parkway.

It was his low mileage 49 Custom 8 with overdrive against a 40 160 sedan without overdrive. Both throttles were held wide open. The Custom 8 won, but not by a spectacular margin, and the speedometer in the 160 was reading 105. Of course those gauges aren't very accurate so the actual speeds were somewhere in the 90's.

Posted on: 2020/3/2 18:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Top speed on my 53 clipper with a 3:90 rear axle ratio is documented as 155kph in "Teil I" of my Zulassungsbescheinigung. (That long word is German for registration)
If it helps, I could send you a copy of that. I know the documentation is for a different year than your vehicle, but it is close.

Posted on: 2020/3/4 4:50
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Josef Lichtenberg
See User information
# JoeSantana. Thank you very much for your research. i have found issue 66 on ebay. i will buy it.

Posted on: 2020/3/4 15:39
Packard Super Clipper 1947
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved