Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 134

BigKev, acolds, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Advice on 1956 Clipper Deluxe Brakes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
I had promised BigKev that I would scan the Packard Training Manual for Treadlevac and will try to finally get that done when at my Oregon shop in the next week or so as evenings tend to be free there. It's too cold to work in the shop at night and it's pitch black to walk the block back to the house!

Quoting myself here, I'm at my shop and tried scanning the Brakes and Easamatic Serviceman's Training Book but my father's scanner isn't up to the task. I'll need to do it on my large-format scanner after I return home.

Posted on: 2020/3/10 14:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Hello Don

Thanks for that. I don't seem to have that publication. Will watch fora copyt.

I plan to get the car up on a hoist today to take a closer look at the brake vacuum system. So far, a cursory look has only shown that there was no one way air valve near the carburettor. I found one locally and fitted it. Initial impression is it made no difference.

A previous owner, who did the brakes about 25 years ago!, told me he had a similar problem with the brake vacuum circuit and found that the vacuum line had somehow detached itself from the Treadlevac unit. It was very difficult to get back on, in his words. I'll look at that when the car is up in the air.

Will also lubricate the front suspension/steering gear and am investigating narrower section radial tyres like the ones on your blue car.

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2020/3/10 17:07
1941 120 Club Coupe (SOLD)
1956 Clipper Deluxe (RHD and auto) - for the wife, or so I told her!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Further to my earlier note, got the Clipper up in the air today, after removing the fresh air ducting to improve access to the Treadlevac. Found that the shorter duct consisted of a piece of whittled plastic pipe held in place by about 100 yards of black duct tape. After it was removed, discovered that the fresh air baffle inside the duct section on the firewall is in fact working and is attached to the RH "Air" slider inside the car.

First order was inspection of all the vacuum hoses, which appeared to be intact and relatively new. My recent addition of the non-return valve in the vacuum line near the carburettor appears to have had no effect.

Second was to remove the filler plug on the master cylinder, This showed fairly clean fluid but the level very low. Not consistent with the symptoms experienced, but topped it up anyway. Lo and behold brakes working again. Still not sure if the booster is working, but they are way better than before. Not sure when the fluid was last checked. Guess this means there is a slow leak somewhere in the hydraulic circuit.

Ah well.... overhaul kit for the Treadlevac and new wheel cylinders on the way from Kanter. Another job to add to the list. Better start a blog!

Funny how the heavy steering does not feel as bad when the brakes are working.

I had occasion to use the handbrake before this fix. I works surprisingly well. Small mercies. Store away for future reference.

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2020/3/10 23:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Brakes are not something where you want to take a chance and really should be flushed with new fluid annually. Otherwise the rubber parts begin to deteriorate including the flexible hose linings which will eventually close up completely and you won't know it until it's too late. The first and only time I drove my 1956 Clipper Custom was about 40 years ago when the brakes failed as I was pulling into a parking space at a shopping center. It caused no damage to the large round pillar I hit but considerable damage to the car!

If I can get my Clipper running in the next couple days, I may have to drive it into the shop with no breaks at all! Thinking of starting a blog for it too so have been closely following yours as I find the RHD cars interesting.

Posted on: 2020/3/11 2:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Don

Yes, it would be good to see a further blog on your Clipper. Lot of similarities to mine.

I know they're a bit of a "poor cousin" to the other models, but they are in fact high quality well built cars which perform surprisingly well. Also attract a lot of positive attention out on the road. Bit less ostentatious than some of the others - especially in the mid-1950s.

Yes I agree that brakes are not something to be messed with. That's why I will rebuild the entire system while the car is laid up for its paint work. Watch my new blog for a blow by blow account!

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2020/3/11 16:14
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved