Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 145

JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: 1948 288 coil
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Old wire has a tendency to crack and die. Maybe one of them inside the distributor has given up the ghost and is shorted to ground. Also, check the other wires to and from the coil - distributor aren't grounding. Crimp on connectors are a good suspect for corrosion related issues. Sometimes on the face of the connector and sometimes between the wire and the connector where it is crimped.

Posted on: 2020/6/11 2:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Bought a new Echlin IC-7 coil today at Napa. but they could not supply points and condenser for my car. Guess I have to try Kanter -

Posted on: 2020/6/11 22:33
 Top  Print 

1954 packard pacific spark plug wires / rubber grommet
Home away from home
Home away from home

54packpac
See User information
Hi Howard. I recently changed my plug wires with Packard Electric 7mm silicon suppression wires from Br_llm_n. The car has a Pertronix ignitor. I did not replace the rubber grommet for the wires underneath the coil though. What is the function of the rubber spark plug grommet and is it necessary? If you haven't noticed yet, I am the current owner of steve/dr morbius' 54 Pacific. Your help is greatly appreciated. Regards, TC

Attach file:

jpg  (339.72 KB)
201206_5ee7c6bdc32f2.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/6/15 14:05
 Top  Print 

Re: 1954 packard pacific spark plug wires / rubber grommet
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe the purpose of the boot is mostly weatherproofing with a secondary function of a more finished look to the wire and engine. The boot will keep moisture, grease and dirt from building up on the plug ceramic to the point it could possibly become a conductive path for the high voltage to the metal ground and effectively short the plug before it can spark.

Packard did not use boots at the plugs until 52 or 53.

Posted on: 2020/6/15 14:22
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
FYI,

I have never used a Pertronix ignitor in my cars. I have several car guy friends that have used them and they do not speak very highly of them when it comes to reliability.

Posted on: 2020/6/15 14:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I use Pertronix in all my cars and never a problem.

Quote:
Packard did not use boots at the plugs until 52 or 53.

I understood that 1954 was the first year to use the rubber boots on the spark plug wires.

Posted on: 2020/6/15 14:47
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You could be correct but going by the way Dwight lists his wire sets for sale by application, plugs had straight boots for 53 seniors and 90 degree boots for 54 seniors. Juniors apparently did not receive boots until 55 and all were 135 degree.

Posted on: 2020/6/15 14:59
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Yes, the 1954 Senior needed 90 boots due to the shape and size of the air cleaner although technically it needed it only on two plugs. Of course, the entire set was made that way.

As for listings by the seller, their parts are good but not always authentic as best as I can tell so not a definitive way of knowing what is correct. I'm not sure either but I did see somewhere recently - either on this site, the parts book or perhaps a service counselor - that 1954 was the first year. If I can find the reference again, I'll post.

Posted on: 2020/6/15 15:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

54packpac
See User information
Thank you Howard and Don for your responses. My apologies but I was referring to the rubber grommet beneath the ignition coil which I didn't replace. Thoughts on this one?

Attach file:

jpg  (60.11 KB)
201206_5ee7d750a18ae.jpg 909X626 px

jpg  (15.44 KB)
201206_5ee7d7e5338a1.jpg 578X160 px

Posted on: 2020/6/15 15:19
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That one I am not sure of except maybe as a strain relief and protector to keep the wires from vibrating or getting chafed or cut against the ends of the raceway. Ideally it would provide some separation between the wires so chances of cross firing would be reduced. Since the grommet is only covering a couple of inches or so of the wires they are free to touch or lay against one another the remaining distance in the raceway so I doubt the grommet would be very effective for that purpose.

Posted on: 2020/6/15 15:36
Howard
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved