Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 107

Frogmagic, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Trailering a '55
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I need to trailer my '55 Caribbean and I'm trying to figure out where the best place is for the front end to use straps. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated and a picture would be worth a thousand words.

Posted on: 2020/3/28 16:57
 Top  Print 

Re: Trailering a '55
Home away from home
Home away from home

MJG
See User information
Since you haven't gotten any hits with '55 owners.. I've trailered everything I have (plus some). The attachment points are more trailer specific than car specific. You don't mention if it's a full flatbed or two-wheels down (I've never done the later and wouldn't recommend it personally). The majority of trailers I've used are U-haul units. Based on the weight of your vehicle you may have a hard time renting one (especially if it's complete as yours probably is). The straps on those units go over your front tires and ratchet strapped down, with the addition of back-up chains on the front frame and back frame. The chains don't need to be tight but I wrap a rag around or through the chain where it rests on the frame (only if your frame is detailed). However, I highly recommend you either look up online the manufacturers instructions for using their trailer. If you've never towed a vehicle before, it's not "Miller Time", may want to hire it out. If you get someone reputable to do it they know best but I'd recommend being involved. You have I'm sure many fixed attachment points, but I would be concerned with avoiding torsion level components etc., I always chose points that won't flex, tear etc. Good luck..

Posted on: 2020/3/29 7:18
1948 Custom Eight Victoria Convertible
Others:
1941 Cadillac Series 62 Deluxe Convertible Coupe
1956 Oldsmobile 88 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Nothing special insofar as anchor points. You can strap the differential housing and control arms in the front. However, the suspension must be turned off or battery disconnected. On the 56's the battery must be disconnected otherwise the car will try to go into park and can burn up the shift motor.

Posted on: 2020/3/29 8:30
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just be sure to get the straps or chain around the frame or lower A arms and NOT on the stabilizer bar. The stabilizer bar looks strong and is in a convenient and easy spot to grab onto but the brackets and end mountings will not take a lot of pull without bending or breaking.

Posted on: 2020/3/29 9:19
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I assume you are going to have the whole car on a trailer, or flatbed.

I put the front straps through the lower "A" arm. The ratchet then clips to the straps from the "A" arms, and the trailer bed.

The rear straps around the axle. Making sure not to pinch the brake lines.

Posted on: 2020/3/29 10:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
It's an enclosed trailer. I've used U Hauls with the front wheel straps in the past. I was considering on using the lower A arm and also about attaching a D Ring to the frame just in front of the stabilization arm.

Posted on: 2020/3/29 12:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I put 3 hooks on the floor of my enclosed trailer and do the same as on the uhaul; hook to the rear hook go over the front tire and loop thru the 2nd hook and pit the ratchet on the front(3rd) loop.

Posted on: 2020/3/29 13:35
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Gerry

Psw does it all the time . can't remember how he did mine.

Contact him he can explain. Where he puts straps.

Posted on: 2020/3/29 23:19
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
PSW??

Posted on: 2020/3/30 12:59
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Marston wrote:
PSW??

Pacific Southwest Parts in San Diego. gerry@packardssouthwest.com

Posted on: 2020/3/30 13:07
Howard
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved