Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
79 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 79

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Trailering a '55
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and advice. I've contacted Gerry at PSW for his approach.

"Whenever I trailer a Caribbean I run the rear straps over the rear axle tubes on the outside of the trailing arms. The fronts I loop through the lower control arms. Both front and rear are tied in an X pattern to the D rings in my enclosed trailer floor. Battery disconnected."

In a later communication with Gerry, on the straps at the A Arms he goes close to the anchor points on the frame with the car in neutral. After being tied down, the car placed in Park and all four wheel are chocked.

Again Thanks To All

Posted on: 2020/4/2 9:46
 Top  Print   

Re: Trailering a '55
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've heard quite a few arguments from professional transporters against the "X" pattern; with it if one strap breaks or comes loose, the freedom for the car to move sideways (potential damage to opposite corners front and rear) is resisted by only a single strap, the others going slack. In a conventional tie down (no "X"), no significant sideways movement should result from the failure of any single strap as the remaining three should all still be in tension.

Otherwise, the several transporters I've used for my 1956 Caribbean convertible used the tie down locations noted by Gerry.

Posted on: 2020/4/2 10:12
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved