Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 106

r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1928 533 Break Adjustment Issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Hi- I am trying to balance my front brakes. I have new shoes on them and have about 20 miles on the shoes. I have two questions:

1- What do I need to tighten to get the rear brakes to engage better? I believe my brake equalizing linkage might have a bit of rust/corrosion on it which it giving me challenges.

2- I have adjusted my front brakes multiple times and it still keeps pulling to the left. Could I have a cracked left spring or do the 'shock' straps need some kind of adjustment?

Thanks,
Gar

Posted on: 2020/3/29 13:42
 Top  Print 

Re: 1928 533 Break Adjustment Issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Posted on: 2020/4/3 18:43
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
What adjustment procedure are you using?

I'm not familiar with brakes quite that early, are they the Bendix/Perrot 3-shoe system? If so I have some technical literature which might prove useful.

Posted on: 2020/4/3 19:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
With the brakes applied firmly the levers at the backing plate should be approaching vertical. As well the shoes should be centered in the drums with .0015 clearance optimal. If the drums are worn this result will not be attainable and a compromise required. The front cables on those cars are subject to fatigue where they pass through the chassis. They should be removed and inspected and the passage cleaned as it collects grit that wears through the cable. Inspect the suspension for loose spring u-bolts that will cause pull, as will a loose trunion, and spring shackle mounts. Inspect the wheel bearings for damage. A flat spot on a wheel bearing will cause irregular application and sudden pull. Worn king pins will do the same. Note as well, that a locking left rear wheel will cause a pull.

Posted on: 2020/4/4 7:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Owen:

Yes these are a three shoe system. Please see picture below...

Attach file:

jpg  (128.21 KB)
185433_5e88bc0c701ff.jpg 1367X1920 px

Posted on: 2020/4/4 11:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Tim:

My drums were turned and trued last fall. I also had all of the shoes replaced and all of the components lubed/packed (where appropriate), new springs installed and all cables cleaned and inspected.

The car stops reasonably straight (very little left pull) as long as I don't hit the brakes too hard.

How much slack should be in the spring shackles? Right now I have about 1 to 2 inches.

Thanks

Posted on: 2020/4/4 12:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
I use these instructions when adjusting the brakes on my 633 which I suspect is the same as the 533. I have had good results however I have never succeeded in having the brakes pull up absolutely evenly under all conditions.

http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/1929_BendixBrakesServiceBulletin.pdf

These instructions are on this site, there is a lot of good information here.

Posted on: 2020/4/4 22:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I forgot one item. The brake cams have a top and bottom. If one is installed upside down that may be causing your problem. As well, the books all want really tight shoe to drum clearances, but that is for new drums which goes out the window after 90 years.

Posted on: 2020/4/5 0:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Tim:

Great doc. Thanks

Posted on: 2020/4/11 18:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Evening...You might also have a wheel bearing that is worn out more on one side than the other. Ernie in Arizona...around the corner and down the lane from David Packard!

Posted on: 2020/4/11 19:58
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved