Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Packard v12
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
West, it's not listed in the accessory catalog.

And although Packard did a lot of things that seem confounding, it would really surprise me if they were to consider a badge identifying their premium product as something optional.

Posted on: 2020/4/2 16:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Click to see original Image in a new window

Dave (O_D), thanks for the picture of the 39 Twelve. You cannot fail to be impressed by it. It is more a mountain then a car.

Quote:
...it would really surprise me if they were to consider a badge identifying their premium product as something optional.

Yes, it is surprising but take a look at the today's practice. Depending on the model and country of sale the "Mercedes-Benz" badge is optional and sometimes not even available. For example, on the US E-Class, the "Sport" package deletes the upright "tristar" hood ornament, whereas the "Luxury" package has one by default. Some models such as the AMG-GT are not available with the tristar.
For whatever reasons some customers like to hide the engine configuration or other features and Mercedes leaves it to their choice wether to use e.g. the "4matic" lettering or not. If you order a Mercedes Maybach Pullman with code "XW5" it comes without "Maybach" lettering at the tail end.

Posted on: 2020/4/3 1:21
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
West, it's not listed in the accessory catalog.

And although Packard did a lot of things that seem confounding, it would really surprise me if they were to consider a badge identifying their premium product as something optional.

I guess my comment was supposed to mean that it probably wasn't standard equipment, as opposed to what I said: "must be an accessory." It's not unusual that Packard didn't have ALL their accessories, or available equipment in the accessory catalog. For instance, the artillery wheels are not found in the accessory catalog through 1942, yet they were available.

Posted on: 2020/4/3 7:41
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

37Crazy
See User information
Hi,
This will be a great project. I own a 37 Packard Formal 12 that I am restoring slowly. We will need to connect to exchange restoration information
I want to show you how you can determine the VIN number with 90% certainty. It is hidden from view, but found in a few places besides the VIN Plate (sticker?) on the firewall.
Because you have most of the original upholstery, hopefully it will reveal your answer. When Packard made the senior cars, they had parts made for them throughout the factory and by others. Because they didn't make many formals, they made very few of the parts. When they made the part, they wrote on the back the following. The body number first and then the vin number. Sometimes they would write the body number first and later the vin number. In your case, it would be 320xx. In your and my formal, 32 was for 1032 body number. The last three would be the VIN number without starting at 200.
These numbers were written on the back of seats, door kick panels and door panels. Here are two examples. Let us know what you find.
Craig

Posted on: 2020/4/14 15:58
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

37Crazy
See User information
Hope this loads the pics.

Attach file:

jpg  (21.85 KB)
1010_5e9628e73256f.jpg 448X272 px

jpg  (32.64 KB)
1010_5e9628ef986f2.jpg 613X304 px

Posted on: 2020/4/14 16:19
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

colin voice
See User information
Hi found this number colin

Attach file:

jpeg  (57.01 KB)
141589_5e97513032838.jpeg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2020/4/15 13:23
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

37Crazy
See User information
Success. We have solved the mystery. You will see more panels with this number as you expose them. So now you know your vin number. I believe that all vin numbers in 38 and 39 added 200 to the start. The roster keeps can confirm. Also in 37, all 1 numbers were stamped on the Patent Plate with I. So if both are correct, your patent plate would read

I032-219

Send me a PM and we will trade restoration problems and solutions.

Posted on: 2020/4/16 13:03
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Starting production sequence numbers, from The Packard Club. You might want to keep a copy handy for future reference.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.13 KB)
177_5e98a483ccfd1.jpg 787X126 px

Posted on: 2020/4/16 13:32
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

37Crazy
See User information
Thank you for the information on the numbering system.
That will help Colin.

Posted on: 2020/4/18 17:38
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved