Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 100

John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

41 180 shift
Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
The shift lever on my 1941 180 has a curved end and ball. To be honest, I catch my hand on it often when making a right hand turn. I have seen pictures of other 41's that have just a straight stalk and a elongated tapered knob instead of what I have. That would seem less likely to catch ones hand on. Were some models equipped with one rather than the other? Were they perhaps changed during the production run? I'm not planning to make any changes, just curious.

Attach file:

jpg  (149.23 KB)
199039_5e85219501c9b.jpg 1920X1920 px

Posted on: 2020/4/1 18:19
 Top  Print 

Re: 41 180 shift
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
That is a postwar shift lever. Likely it was installed when someone could not find the correct knob for the original one.

Posted on: 2020/4/1 18:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
The correct knobs are available.

https://classiccarreproductions.com/product/gearshift-knob-1941-2-34-long/

Check the parts book to see how many years used the same shift level shaft. Or someone here like the flackmaster may have one.

Posted on: 2020/4/1 18:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
1942 used that lever, but with a chrome column and a turn signal switch, so yours was undoubtedly changed. You always can turn the lever 180 degrees until you find the lever you want to replace it with.

Posted on: 2020/4/1 21:42
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
".... Or someone here like the flackmaster may have one"
hmmm...ya think?

And if you want one to have hanging on the wall, or a project while we wait out the wuhan flu, (clean it up and order a new knob...) PM me with your mailing address and a promise to make a donation to Pinfo.

DAF

Posted on: 2020/4/1 22:14
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved