Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 2126 model wiring question/diagram
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Howard - The wire from the lockout switch to solenoid on the control valve - where does it exit from the dash ?

Posted on: 2020/4/4 16:10
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On a 22-23 series the EC wire to the control valve would enter the loom in the same portion of loom that goes to the other switches. The power in feed was a separate wire with an inline fuse in it.

On the 21st series, also a separate feed but the one out to control valve is in the group of wires that take care of the left side bank of switches since the EC was a factory only option and the switch was usually placed between the head and instrument light switches. If no EC a fog light switch could also use the same spot but believe that was usually a separate wire since it was also a dealer installed option. If both EC and Fog lites were present in a 21st, then I suspect the fog lights had a hang on rotary switch under the dash although depending on heater type and options there could have been an extra space on the right side the fog light switch could have used.

Posted on: 2020/4/4 16:31
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
Howard,
As I compared your photos of overdrive solenoid and the color wire diagram from Big Kev, it was obvious that 4 and 6 were reverse connected. Also, two of the bottom wires were in the wrong position (1 and 3??). I switched 4/6 and still had the short. Then switched the bottom terminals to match correct color/terminal numbers. No short:). However, I don't have a complete circuit to starter so will have to trace that issue.
I think I understand now, my reference to accelerator switch was really the overdrive kickdown right at accelerator pedal. I did know that the carburetor switch was mounted on carb base and engaged by the throttle linkage. Details coming back slowly.
Saw your reply regarding fog lights/EC switch. My car does have the fog light dash switch but no lights were installed. The control cable and knob I believe are strictly mechanical disconnect for the OD so EC not installed as option....I guess.
Direct speed switch I have not located however, the green wire in loom has an eye that is not attached. It is labeled Direct speed switch and is long enough to reach the back 2/3 of engine compartment. Mystery still remains on the two unattached pairs of red and green with round pin connectors. There is no obvious place to connect except one to the other with bakelite butt connection. The two greens ohm out as "common" but the reds do not. Scratchin' head. Will keep digging...Thanks for all your input.
Cheers

Posted on: 2020/4/4 19:30
Where principles are involved, be deaf to expediency. (Matthew Fontaine Maury 18th century oceanographer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On the starter, if it is still connected the safety circuit has caused some confusion and issues. If there were problems, some of the safety circuits have been disconnected and not necessarily the way Packard intended.

On the 356 engine with the Autolite pinion shift starter the carb switch is connected to one small terminal of the solenoid to provide the voltage to the starting relay and the other small terminal gets ground by connecting thru the generator. The wire from that solenoid terminal runs over the the regulator A or GEN terminal so all the generator and regulator wiring needs to be connected for the circuit to work.

Safety circuit works as follows: With the engine not running the generator is stopped, no voltage is being made so the starter solenoid will be able to connect to ground thru the generator windings. Pushing the accelerator to start will put voltage on one terminal of the solenoid and ground thru the generator is connected to the other so starter relay works to bring in the solenoid. Once the engine starts and generator is putting out a voltage that voltage is also at what was the ground terminal on the solenoid. Even if there is a voltage on the other terminal if the starter switch is accidentally made, the solenoid can do nothing with approx 6v on each terminal so the solenoid and starter remain off to prevent damage.

If you want to see photos of postwar EC components to identify or see where they would go you can download the training book Clutch and Electromatic Clutch from the literature section.http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/ClutchTrainingManual.pdf There is also a book on the R9 OD unit. Packard called their OD an Econodrive and that is what the book is named.

Posted on: 2020/4/4 19:46
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Do you have a diagram for the R9 overdrive components ?

Posted on: 2020/4/7 23:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

John Brinegar wrote:
Do you have a diagram for the R9 overdrive components ?

Here is what Packard provided for service information on the R9.

http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/EconoDriveTrainingBook.pdf

Posted on: 2020/4/8 0:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thank you sir !

Posted on: 2020/4/8 6:56
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In addition to the wiring diagram and troubleshooting chapter in the training manual, here is a diagnostic flowchart from an unknown source that might also be of help in narrowing down any problems. I think it was published more in the R11 era but seems also applicable to the R9.

Attach file:

jpg  (208.53 KB)
209_5e8dd78497ac2.jpg 1200X1217 px

jpg  (136.82 KB)
209_5e8dd78e0d589.jpg 1200X932 px

Posted on: 2020/4/8 8:55
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Wow - Thanks Howard !

Posted on: 2020/4/8 16:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Here is the location of the switches on my 48 - Left to right - Lighter - Head Lite - Instruments - Map Lite - Trans - Fog Lite - Heater - Blank -

Posted on: 2020/4/8 21:02
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved