Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 129

soulrenovation, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1942 or later Eight timing indicator
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
I have a 1937 120, and am considering building a pointer so that I can dynamically adjust my ignition timing using marks on the vibration damper vice trying to see the marks on the flywheel (nearly impossible!).

As I was looking at some other manuals, I noticed that from 1942 on, the Packard 8 (successor of my 120) has a stamped steel pointer on marks on the vibration damper.

1. Does anyone know if said pointer will bolt to the 282 in my 1937?

2. If so, anyone have one for sale? (I can move this post into the parts for sale section if the answer to question #1 is yes)

3. Either way, if someone has a 1942 or 1946 Eight (or thereabouts) and can post a closeup of the pointer, that would be very helpful. Thanks!

Posted on: 2020/4/8 9:28
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Re: 1942 or later Eight timing indicator
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
You can make up a temporary pointer out any junk you have lying around and bolt it to the engine for timing. Of course you have to put the flywheel in place and make a corresponding mark with a paint pen, tape, or whatever. The problem is who knows how much those old dampers oscillate? That's why the timing marks are on the flywheel.

1937 is an easy one. The later pre-war cars require doing it from underneath the fender. And the one piece splash aprons suck. Especially on side mount cars. You might try using a mirror in a dark garage. I've done that. Of course you need to bring the motor around and make sure the timing marks are cleaned off. They used a lead based heavy duty paint so I never used heavy solvents, only soap and water when the paint was still there.

Another trick is to make a jumper wire for the ignition and connect the main harness to the battery terminal of the voltage regulator, start the engine and remove the starter. That gives more access to the sighting hole. Cover the starter cable with a piece of heater hose to prevent a fire.

Packard timing can be arduous but no worse than dealing with 1/4-26 and 5/16-16 fasteners on the earlier cars.

Posted on: 2020/4/8 10:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Thanks Tim! I didn't really think about the oscillations of the vibration dampener.

The starter trick is a good one - I may give that one a shot instead!

I was planning on using a bulb on across the points like Owen_Dyneto has shared before to check the static timing, but I also wanted to make sure everything looked good with the engine warmed up and running.

Posted on: 2020/4/8 11:23
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
It is an easy job and almost makes the effort worthwhile for the few times you will be setting the timing.

I did it on my 115C. First rolled the engine to No. 1 TDC on the flywheel mark and made sure it was on compression. Next bent a loop in a heavy wire and fastened the wire to the engine front cover with a short piece point to and above the damper. Then marked the damper for TDC and the corresponding BTC and ATC marks from the flywheel marks.

In addition to this I made the distributor locking bolt easier to get to by using a longer bolt and a short piece of 5/16" fuel line tubing.

Here are photos of the before and after of the modification. Sorry, no photos of the pointer.

Attach file:

jpeg  (30.35 KB)
565_5e8e19d507abe.jpeg 480X640 px

jpeg  (29.93 KB)
565_5e8e19e6c51a0.jpeg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2020/4/8 13:30
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Ken,
I too, have fought with trying to see the timing marks and not get a haircut from the fan! My solution: a probe camera. Reasonably priced and 'noninvasive' in as much as you don't have to change anything on the car. Just, as Tim says, make sure your timing marks are clear, clean and visible and aim the probe at the hole. It can be done by one's self as I have done it, but it is definitely a whole lot easier if you have somebody holding and aiming the camera while you shoot the timing light and adjust the distributor. And John (JW), I know you have posted that photo of the adjusting nut extension on the distributor before, but that is a superlative idea. I meant to do that to mine after seeing it the first time; (with your permission!LOL) now I'm GOING to do it!! Thanks. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/4/8 14:14
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Ken,

Can and has been done.

Put a pointer on my '41 120 and one was put on a '40 110, see link, includes photos.

Posted on: 2020/4/8 14:44
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
JW - thanks! You're actually who I got the wire idea from, but then I found out that later models had the timing indicator pre built.

Mal - thanks for the pictures, that helps a ton!

Posted on: 2020/4/8 14:58

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
When doing static timing I used an ohmmeter which is more accurate than a light bulb. The method is accurate and is very useful for the dual coil systems. When I was setting up motors for initial start up the dynamic was usually very close - almost dead on to this method. Keep in mind not to turn the motor backwards when setting up the marks.

Posted on: 2020/4/9 10:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Tim, thanks again! I would love to work in the garage with you for a few days - I'm pretty good at figuring things out, and reading a book and getting stuff done, but I suspect I could learn a ton from working with an expert like you!

Posted on: 2020/4/9 14:38

Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved