Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 113

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 1954 Panama....worth??
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The 1953 appears to have a non-stock radiator as the upper hose goes at an angle toward the driver side, it has a screw-on oil filter and a tiny modern inline fuel filter. In themselves not real problems but it makes one wonder how many hidden modifications there are. The 1954, on the other hand, seems a much better deal just looking at the photos.

Posted on: 2020/4/21 1:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Kevin

Here's my two cents: from the photos, it looks to be a good car to start with, decent solid condition, presentable paint job, original interior that with some cleaning and mending could be perfectly serviceable, plus a desirable model hardtop. The potmetal chrome plating still looks very good and that's a big plus given the hideous cost to redo that now.

The unknown it the mechanical status since it hasn't been on the road or driven at all in a while. Better to assume it needs to have the oil pan and pick-up screen cleaned, the cooling system flushed, the brakes gone through, and the transmission serviced once you determine how well it works, among other things.

Price: Somewhere between $2,500 to $4,500, dependent upon how much you trust is good enough to not need expensive repairs. This is advice from a 'frugal' fellow who always prefers to give himself margin to work with to deal with the unforeseen.

All this said, I understand where you are coming from, the desire to start Packard ownership with a car you can afford, improve with 'sweat equity' all while you can enjoy it with your family. Good for you, wish more younger people were interested in the same. Don't overlook or dismiss the '51-'54 sedans, there are some very good values in those available too.

Good luck with your search and pursuit, please keep us apprised of your decision and eventual project as you proceed.

Steve

Posted on: 2020/4/21 15:00
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Don - I was noticing those add-on's in the 1953. Certainly a nice car, but out of my price range at this point.

Steve - If I do get this car, the first thing on my list is to drain all the fluids. Rear differential should just be a straight drain and fill. Drain, flush, and fill the cooling system. Drain oil, change the filter, drop the pan and clean that and the intake screen. I might do the same for the transmission. I'll for sure change the fuel filter, but since the car runs I don't know that I will need to drop the tank and clean it.

The brakes will need to be gone through for sure. I will likely keep the aftermarket non-power brakes on there for now, assuming they work. Eventually I would like to restore the Easamatic power brakes and put them back on.

The car does start, and it does drive. I took it for a quick test spin around the property when I looked at it. Engine sounded fine (without looking too closely...nothing obviously wrong), transmission shifted normally into High and Reverse. Didn't check Low. Power steering worked fine. Brakes functioned but I was only going a few miles per hour.

The front and rear bumper chrome is rough at best, but fine for a while. The other chrome is good, just dull. I've been thinking about the interior and how to clean it up. How would I go about cleaning the seats and carpet without ruining them? I know I'll have to replace the headliner.

I've always been partial to the two door hardtops so I'm hopeful about this car. I'm probably going to have a hard time talking the guy down much more, but I'll see what I can do. Originally was 9.5K, then 7.5, and now 6.5K. Ideally I'd pay 5K but that might be pushing my luck.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2020/4/21 15:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
kevinpackard.........There shouldn't be any problem of offering 5K for the car. If you don't make the offer and you buy the car you will always wonder "what if" I had offered 5K. All the owner can say is no. Go for it see what happens.
Regards

Posted on: 2020/4/22 11:17
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
COVID-19 is having an affect on the collector car market. This is a buyer's market. I would offer $4K and see what happens. You can always go up. The seller would probably like to see the money in the bank rather than the Packard in the barn.

Posted on: 2020/4/22 12:46
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved