Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 154

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Starter switch removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Can someone tell me how to remove the starter button in my '39 Six?? A wire has come off the contact of the button, but in order to reattach it, I have to be able to remove the switch as there is zero room to get in there with a screwdriver. I have done quite a bit of rewiring work this winter and learned how to get the dimmer switch and light switch out, even making tools to be able to R&R the retaining bezels, but, for the life of me, I cannot see how the starter button comes out. Any help much appreciated - thanks. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/4/17 19:35
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Re: Starter switch removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It's held in by two screws but I don't recall how to access them. You can see quite a few photos of what the uninstalled switch looks like, though on my site and maybe that will help figure it out.

Posted on: 2020/4/18 3:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thanks Don. Anybody who has worked on one of these vehicles KNOWS what a bitch it is to access up under the dash. It's hard to see and harder to reach. One thing I was thinking was that if I could remove the 'waterfall' panel it would give me a good-sized hole to get my hands in. The panel is 'loose', in that I can squiggle it back and forth about a 1/16", but not sure how to remove it. Anybody???? I thought it was probably a 'rattle-source' and should get properly tightened up anyway and would make a great access hole if I could get it off. Anybody that has done this; I would really appreciate a share here. Many thanks. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/4/18 11:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Chris, On the '40, the switch is held to the dash with two square-headed screws that fit into square indents in the dash to prevent them from turning. Then are hidden by a cover plate. There are nuts on the back side. So even with the nuts off, you can't get it out without removing the cover plate, which means all your controls (I know you made that clever bezel wrench).

What I do is remove the center plastic panel by first pulling out the ash tray.

I pull the knobs and the special nuts that retain the radio control box and the chrome cover strip and push the radio control box toward the front of the car.

I can then access the nuts that retain the center panel with 3/8 or 5/16 wrench through the holes in the dash. I think I remember also using my fingers, at least to restart those nots when I was done and then tightening them with a wrench.

I can then look directly down on the backside of the controls to check wires and see. I would shut the battery off doing this cuz there are hot wires for lights and ignition and starter button in the area.

Here are some pix. I wish I remembered exactly how I did it, but it was something like that. The nuts that hold the center panel, there may be 2 or 4.

The other way I've described before for working under the dash. I take the front cushion out. Put some pipe foam-like insulator on the seat frame, add a bunch of pillows for my head and lie under the dash with my feet out the passenger door. If you have a good LED light, you can see what you're doing.

EDIT: better photo of dash holes

Attach file:

jpg  (67.80 KB)
1067_5e9b412bb5b5e.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (72.85 KB)
1067_5e9b413d07e82.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (78.88 KB)
1067_5e9b414d55c16.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (90.00 KB)
1067_5e9b415e4cad8.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (80.06 KB)
1067_5e9b42ac4d7f1.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2020/4/18 13:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The 1939 Six and 1940 junior models do not have any plastic but the essential assembly is the same now that Joe has refreshed my memory! The last time I took one apart was not long after Joe bought his 1940!

Posted on: 2020/4/18 13:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
You went to a lot of work there, Joe. Thank you very much. Your pics 'tell a story' and I think I have an idea where to start now. I don't have a radio but I DO have a glove box, which I spent hours installing and dearly do not want to take back out. Without a radio, will I still need that side access?
I just had the driver's side dash cluster all out and R&R'd the speedometer and fixed the dash-lights dimmer switch, so really thought I'd gotten somewhere to get it all nicely back together. Then when I went to start it and pressed the button to zero effect, I knew I had a problem. Turns out when I had all the other switches out, I guess the 'U'-terminal on the starter button pulled out and has presented me with this new project. Really disappointing as I thought my hours of laying on my back with the clutch pedal trying to take my ear off, were concluded for now!! Again, thanks for taking the time to put together that response. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/4/18 13:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
That's only 61 years ago, Don - what's the matter with your memory?!?!? LOL Yes, you are right, those parts Joe is referring to as plastic, are metal in my car, but am presuming the method of attachment is same or similar. Don't get me wrong here, I LOVE Packard and their ahead-of-the-time engineering, etc., but geez, one would think some of this stuff could have been designed to be a little easier to get at. I mean, really, to have to take the dash apart to replace the starter button?!?!? That seems inordinately complicated to me. And trying to get washers and nuts on some of those dash studs is a job for and ambidextrous monkey!!

Posted on: 2020/4/18 13:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
If none of that works try a BFHammer. Always makes one feel better at the time......

Posted on: 2020/4/18 13:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
My memory doesn't work 6.1 DAYS ago but it is actually better for things that happened 61 years ago. I could envision the assembly much as Joe's great photos showed it but not the details of the starter switch since I wasn't specifically trying to replace it.

Posted on: 2020/4/18 13:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Yes Don, my long term memory is better than my short term too! I hear you. I still think that is pretty remarkable to own any car for over 60 years! And then to think the car was 20 years old when Joe bought it, and we start getting into some serious automotive history...

Posted on: 2020/4/18 13:51
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved