Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
176 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 176

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Just popping in
Just popping in

Spats
See User information
How do you remove the oil filler pipe on a '41 356 engine? I want to replace all my freeze plugs; I did the middle ok, and the rear looks like I just need to remove the starter solenoid to access but the front is behind the oil filler tube. I heard its a press fit but it's pretty stuck. Any suggestions? Light impact with tension? Strap wrench and work it lightly back and forth? Heat? (Yikes). Don't want to wreck it.

Posted on: 2020/4/19 18:18
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Wiggle gently back and forth and pull.

Posted on: 2020/4/19 18:23
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Sometimes a few taps with a rubber mallet will be needed to free it enough you can wiggle it. If the tube and engine has been painted together there may also be a paint seal you will need to take care of.

Also take note of the position of the angled baffle plate at the bottom of some tubes or the notch orientation in the top tube opening so the cap will go back on properly. If it has the later version cap installed per service changes the notch ensures the slotted air vent in the cap would be facing toward the front or be positioned directly behind the horizontal air vent tube if your engine still has that tube attached.

Posted on: 2020/4/19 18:34
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Spats
See User information
It does have the air tube and slot in the cap so I will make sure to reinstall correctly... if I ever get it out. I think I'll apply a little Kroil and try again tomorrow. Thanks.

Posted on: 2020/4/19 22:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Plus don't wiggle too much, because when you put it back in it might seem a little loose.
Wes

Posted on: 2020/4/20 10:52
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is a good point and possibly something that has happQuote:

Wesley Boyer wrote:
Plus don't wiggle too much, because when you put it back in it might seem a little loose.
Wes

That is a good point and possibly something that has happened in the past. There have been instances of some kind of sealant being found on the tubes. Perhaps yours had been worked on and found loose when being reinstalled. If that happened, depending on the type sealant used a tube could be very hard to remove after that treatment.

Posted on: 2020/4/20 11:17
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved