Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 103

John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

castle nut for rear drum break
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Josef Lichtenberg
See User information
Dear all, please could someboby explain me or pass me a link how to tighten the castle nut of my tapered rear axle?
I am skill with cars, but not with this axle design. It was no big job to loosen the castle nut. Pull of the drum was a different job. Now i do the assembling. I can not find the torque somewhere in my manual. the shaft was dry, no grease. is grease forbidden? when i tighten the castle nut by hand, without wrench, it gets tight very easy. the tighten progress by using a wrench is only a little. for my feeling it does not need high torque. But i am not sure. Is there somewhere a manual, just for this unique job? on youtube i can find a lot of stuff about pulling the drums, but not how reverse in propper manner. thank you very much in advance, Josef

Posted on: 2020/4/23 1:15
Packard Super Clipper 1947
 Top  Print 

Re: castle nut for rear drum break
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The entire driving force of the engine is transmitted to the road thru the axle taper and key so it must be VERY tight. Someone else with a few more moments can look up the exact spec for you, but I'm sure it's about 250 foot lbs. And the surfaces must be clean and dry, NO grease or lubricant.

If the cotter pin won't align when you reach torque, you can remove and take a little off the surface of the washer to change the positioning.

Posted on: 2020/4/23 8:57
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The procedure for replacing the axle is in the 46-50 service manual and is fairly straightforward. If you only took the hub off to do brakes probably not necessary but if you removed the axle to lube the bearings be sure to check the end play before you install the hubs and castle nut. You can make a tool to resemble the factory item out of scrap material and a long bolt. Once it is on the shaft check the clearance using an ordinary feeler gauge. After that measurement is confirmed then install the hubs on a DRY taper and tighten the nut to the specified torque. Try and sneak up on the torque to get into the given range so a slot in the nut will line up with the hole in the shaft so you can insert the cotter key.

In case you don't have the procedure here is an excerpt from the 46-50 service manual along with the torque specs from the 51-4 manual which uses the same rear axle assy.

Attach file:

jpg  (259.03 KB)
209_5ea19fc2af3ab.jpg 1920X894 px

Posted on: 2020/4/23 9:01
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information

Posted on: 2020/4/23 10:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Procedure is based on '50s understanding of thread torquing.
These values exceed the recommended ones for current 3/4 fine grade 5 of today.

Posted on: 2020/4/24 20:00
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved