Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 161

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1947 clipper 8 missing the carburator
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jorge Cardozo
See User information
Hi guys, i've bought the engine without the carb, i've seen a few online that need repair and they are a litle pricey,,it is possible to adapt another brand besides the WD-0,?? I remember back home in Argentina, they would adapt them, and in.my visits to Cuba, well, they adapt anything.mix parts from Russian, European and american cars.

Posted on: 2020/4/24 0:12
 Top  Print   

Re: 1947 clipper 8 missing the carburator
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Do you need the three bolt carb or the four bolt carb? Can't recall just this moment. If it takes the 4 bolt, you could also use a WGD Carter, of which I have MANY.

This particular 4 bolt is a WDO, but does not have provision for the starter switch. This 3 WDO bolt does.

Attach file:

jpg  (310.75 KB)
618_5ea2f9fa56a95.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (204.09 KB)
618_5ea2fa0f77161.jpg 1288X966 px

Posted on: 2020/4/24 9:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Should be four 4 bolt, one of my 47's has a WDO and my other was modify with a WGD, so both works.
Wes

Posted on: 2020/4/24 11:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Shouldn't this thread be posted on the postwar section or do we perhaps need a 1941-1947 Clipper section?

Posted on: 2020/4/24 12:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Interesting how the 4 bolt mounting has a crossover between the barrels. I guess to help balance it out better?

Posted on: 2020/4/24 21:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

ptv wrote:
Interesting how the 4 bolt mounting has a crossover between the barrels. I guess to help balance it out better?

Good catch. The area besides helping to balance the two barrels looks to also serve as a chamber to feed vacuum to a port. Notice the fitting just above the crossover.

Posted on: 2020/4/25 9:56
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Perhaps for a vacuum line? Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2020/4/25 10:40
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
As it turns out that passage belongs to the 'full manifold vacuum' circuit. There are three features in the WDO design that uses this vacuum source, namely;
? Vacumeter (the system that moves the metering rods)
? Choke unloader (the system that biases the choke open against the thermostatic spring force)
? Start switch (manifold vacuum disables the start switch)

Other systems that require vacuum access ports that are drilled at right angles to the throttle bores. These systems include:
? Idle mixture
? Distributor advance

Service Counselor Volume 22, Number 2, published February 1, 1948 contains information regarding the incorrect placement of the gaskets between the intake manifold, insulator block, and carburetor base flange. Seems that if the incorrect gasket is placed between the insulator block and the carburetor the gasket material may block the vacuum passage. The SC only describes the symptoms associated with the vacumeter, not the other two circuits. The correct gasket for this interface is the woven perforated steel core design. The plain paper gasket is installed at the manifold / insulator block interface. Seems Packard solved this problem by restrict the shipment of the plain paper gaskets to the service centers, and only shipped the steel core design to the field. The steel core gasket could be used in either location. The paper design was an 'assembly line' only configuration.

dp

Posted on: 2020/4/25 12:28
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved