Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
26 user(s) are online (17 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 26

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

37 Six oil pan
Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
Finally getting around to changing the oil in my 37 115C. Should there be a washer between the plug and the pan drain hole? There wasn't one when I removed it.

Posted on: 2020/5/24 12:22
 Top  Print 

Re: 37 Six oil pan
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Yes, there should be a gasket.
The original was copper/asbestos but plain copper will do for a replacement.

Posted on: 2020/5/24 13:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
Thanks for the info.

Posted on: 2020/5/24 13:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Maybe now would be a good time to pull the pan and clean it and the pump screen. I did this two times in the 10 years I had my 115C. Engine oil? Shell Rotella 15W-40. No oil filter.

Posted on: 2020/5/25 13:15
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
I was hoping to avoid doing that, but it probably would be wise to do it.

Posted on: 2020/5/25 15:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
I ordered my oil pan gasket and a bottle of Permatex shellac today. Makes sense to check for sludge while I'm doing the oil change. I haven't seen the bottom of that engine in over 40 years when my father did the oil pan after he got the car.

1- I was thinking of using either mineral spirits or gasoline to clean the sludge and the pump screen. Thoughts on that?

2- forewarned is forearmed so, should I be expecting any issues or problematic areas while I am removing/reattaching the pan?

Posted on: 2020/5/29 6:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I'd suggest kerosene - less volatile than gasoline, has more aromatic content than mineral spirits so probably a better solvent for sludge.

Posted on: 2020/5/29 6:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
My practice when replacing an oil pan is to use adhesive on the gasket's pan side only and a light coating of grease on the gasket's engine side. The adhesive allows the gasket to stay in place and the grease will allow the pan to slide when installing and not damage the gasket. This method may make it easier for the next person when they remove the pan because the gasket will stick to the pan and not the engine. Also, make sure the pan's flange is straight and dimples caused by the cap screws are flattened.

Let us know what you find when you drop the pan.

Posted on: 2020/5/29 13:14
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Not sure about the removal of your oil pan but I have a video of me removing mine on my 47. Might be helpful or not, just saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uyrBl3oq0I&t=157s

Wes

Posted on: 2020/6/1 15:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
Thank you Wesley. Some of that seemed vaguely familiar from back when my father dropped the pan on the 37 Six. I'm thinking he may have had to remove the bell housing (any one care to verify this for me?). I don't recall having to do anything with the idler arm though. I'll have to go back to the car and study the lay of the land. Even if your experience doesn't represent the same experience with my engine, it was a great refresher and served as a reminder that even with the easiest appearing job, nothing is easy , and no 20 minute job takes 20 minutes .

Also I was glad to see you had episodes of My Classic Car that I had not been able to find on my own. I had seen the final episode on YouTube but was unable to find the others. Glad you were successful tracking them down. I also found the other videos of the work you had done on your Packard and I will be going back to look at those for informational purposes.

Posted on: 2020/6/2 6:34
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved