Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 105

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1940 packard 160 7 pass. for sale
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

maurice desrosiers
See User information
good afternoon everybody i am Packard lover i bought 5 of them now this one is for sale in Miami and i would like to know if somebody knows this car or the owner Dave Kanner i have doubts about the fellow but i want and will buy the car if everything is true and safe

Attach file:

jpg  (456.63 KB)
172346_5ecd5fd17e525.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (461.69 KB)
172346_5ecd5fec2ba6f.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (485.50 KB)
172346_5ecd5ff818808.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2020/5/26 13:29
 Top  Print 

Re: 1940 packard 160 7 pass. for sale
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
While you're waiting for an answer, do you or does anyone know if the trunk handle is the proper one? I'm familiar only with junior models so pardon my ignorance.

Posted on: 2020/5/26 14:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I don't think it is. This car is set up for a trunk rack with the license holder and light up high like that.

If it is getting a trunk rack, the handle is a "T" type.

If no trunk rack then the license goes at the top of the handle. The handle has a built-in light to shine on the license. Where that high license light is, there would be a shield.

The photo isn't high resolution enough for really see if the handle is a '40 Packard.

What a great looking car. Impressive. Boy, you just can't beat a '40 160, if you ask me.

If you buy it, please paint the Packard script black on the bumper.

Looks like an early '40 built in '39. No speed strips on the side mount covers.

Posted on: 2020/5/26 16:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Joe, you're right I didn't take into account the '39 type licensed holder that was used on 1940 models with the trunk rack. Packard's handles were made by a third party vendor and were often functionally the same between makes of cars that used the same vendor (differing in design but not functionality) so appears that one of those was fitted.

Posted on: 2020/5/26 17:01
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Early 1940 handle for trunk rack equipped cars.349072.
Oh, and the red lens in the license light should be clear/silver paint)
And what's with the backwards hood handle...?

Posted on: 2020/5/26 17:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
If the vehicle ID numbers are low enough to confirm this is an early 1940, it should have the Packard script hubcaps. It could be that the car was restored before Kanter reproduced the script caps and the only reproduced 1940 caps were the ones for the late 1940 cars with the words Packard and the series numbers, 160, in this case, made by Bill Hirsch.

I think the stainless running board moulding should extend on to the front fender just behind the front wheel, but this 160 is a longer wheelbase than mine, so not sure.
The "Packard Motor Car Company" in AZ makes reproductions of this in solid aluminum.

They still claim to have the Packard name trademarked, but I checked with the US Patent and Trademark Office. They have abandoned their registered trademark claim to the Packard name and to Packard Motor Car Company.

I was under the impression that the Packard name and Packard script were registered to Packard Automobile Classics, which is still Live for using on clothing and club pubs, but apparently on April 1, 2020, an Alan J. Ross representing Aerie Packard, Ltd. a company started in Aug 2019 whose Registered Agent is Scott Andrews of 18700 Rivers Edge Drive E, Chagrin Falls, OH 44023 now holds the trademarks.

This company claims to produce Replacement parts for automobiles, namely, Automobile engine components and parts; Automobile interior instruments, gauges and meters; Automobile exhaust system components and parts; Automobile braking system components and parts; Automobile powertrain components and parts; Automobile cooling system components and parts; Automobile oil system components and parts; Automobile fuel system components and parts; Automobile suspension and steering system components and parts; Automobile transmission system components and parts; Automobile chassis components and parts; Automobile body fender components and parts; Automobile doors; Automobile bumpers; Automobile interior heating and air conditioning components and parts; Automobile identification plates; Automobile floor components and parts; Automobile hood ornaments; Automobile interior seats; Automobile dash panels; Automobile starting system components and parts; Automobile electrical system components and parts; Automobile cameras; Automobile sensors; Automobile motion control components and parts; Automobile roll cages; Automobile wheels; Automobile hubcaps; Automobile audio and video system components and parts; Automobile lighting and signaling system components and parts; Automobile wiring harnesses; Automobile gaskets; Automobile interior consoles; Automobile glove boxes; Automobile luggage racks; Automobile sun visors; Automobile safety components and parts; Automobile cellular system components and parts; Automobile computer system components and parts; and Automobile interior steering wheels

This should be quite a boon (not a Boonton) to Packard restorers.

Well, just too much time on my hands and the day may turn sunny.

Posted on: 2020/5/27 12:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I hope no one thinks I'm picking on this car, because I really like it. But it is missing the hold downs for the side mount covers. At least one of those is available from John Ulrich Packard Parts 510 223-9587.

Posted on: 2020/5/27 12:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It's a nice looking Packard that I would love to have even in spite all the cosmetic things wrong. Another - and I'm not sure about this - is that the trim below the rear side windows is reversed with the left on the right and the right on the left. However, all these little things makes one wonder what else is wrong that is mechanical and/or otherwise hidden from view.

Posted on: 2020/5/27 12:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

JoeSantana wrote:

I think the stainless running board moulding should extend on to the front fender just behind the front wheel, but this 160 is a longer wheelbase than mine, so not sure.
The "Packard Motor Car Company" in AZ makes reproductions of this in solid aluminum.

The running board trim on the long wheelbase cars (148-inch) does not extend into the front fender.

Posted on: 2020/10/12 10:30
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
... and I agree with David Flack. The trunk handle is correct for a non trunk-rack early 1940. There were three different handles used on the senior cars in 1940. The T-handle was only used on cars with trunk racks, and there would be no Packard script on the bumper if it had a trunk rack.

Posted on: 2020/10/12 10:57
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved