Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
31 user(s) are online (24 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 31

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 33 34 35 (36) 37 38 39 ... 141 »

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Alright, so that I have the interior sealed and protected I'm getting ready to move onto next steps. Here's my plan of attack:

1.) Drip rail repair - I need to finish removing the old seam sealer inside the drip rail. A few sections have surface rust under the seam sealer that I removed. I want to get it all out, then clean everything really well, then 2K epoxy seam sealer to protect it all.

2.) Headliner - I assume this will be much easier to install with the windshield still out of the way. I'm not totally sure how it attaches to the front and back. The back was already removed when I got the car. The front was so rotten that I couldn't tell how it was secured. Was it glued both front and rear? I can see what appear to be staple holes in the front of the windshield header, so maybe it was also stapled? I know for sure the sides were glued.

The headliner is the first piece of the puzzle to putting the car back together. Can't do the stainless and weatherstrip around the windows until it's in.

3.) Strip and repaint roof - The paint on the roof was mediocre at best. Tons of it flaked off the drip rail when repairing the windshield header. There was surface rust peeking out under some of the seam sealer. Closer inspection revealed a handful of areas that are bubbled. Looks like poor prep (not that I'm an expert). So before I get the windshield on I probably ought to just strip the roof and repaint it....probably back to the original Packard Ivory.

4.) Windshield - after the headliner I'll order the windshield and gasket, and install.

During all the above I will also pull all the brake drums and replace everything. New fuel pump will go on. And I'll need to figure out why my fuel and temp gauges aren't working properly.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2020/10/20 15:23
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
The rope you are talking about is still there (kind of) on the car. Some of it is missing. I left the remainder as is for now. I think it's purpose is to keep things from falling into the space between the wheel well and fender. It certainly isn't a seam sealer and I don't think it does much sound dampening. I have no idea where to get replacements.

There is both a cotton and a fiberglass wick material that comes in various diameters which is used for Tiki torches and the like. It is a much coarser braid than normal cotton rope with an appearance I think is more like the original material Packard used. As I recall the fender stuff is somewhat near 1/2 inch in diameter. Amazon carries several offerings that are 5' or 6' long and from 1/8" to 3/4" in diameter.

Here is a comparison photo of both the 1/2" cotton and the 1/2" fiberglass round wick offered on Amazon.

Attach file:

jpg  (125.96 KB)
209_5f8f48cb41346.jpg 1226X1108 px

jpg  (127.73 KB)
209_5f8f48d9155e8.jpg 1080X1100 px

Posted on: 2020/10/20 15:40
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Thanks Howard. I'll keep those as a reference in case I remove and replace the old stuff.

Anyone have experience with sound deadener mats? I've read a couple of comments from Ross regarding the Noico 80 mil mats, so I'm leaning towards those. Any issues with delamination on the roof?

-Kevin

Posted on: 2020/10/24 16:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I was picturing something much larger than that, maybe an inch if not more in diameter! Was it really so small?

Posted on: 2020/10/25 1:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
On my '51 the rope stuff is closer to an 1" in diameter.

Posted on: 2020/10/25 7:58
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I was picturing something much larger than that, maybe an inch if not more in diameter! Was it really so small

Been a long time since I did anything in that area that involved the rope but could be a larger size. Not sure of the function but probably something to do with added support for the fender panel center section to minimize any drumming. If that is the case I would imagine it needs to be fairly loose so able to be compressed slightly when stuffed into the narrower spaces toward the center of the wheelwell without bulging the fender.

Largest wick I see on Amazon is 3/4" so for a 1" round wick choices appear more limited. One lamp store has a 1" cotton round but weave is finer and it looks more like an ordinary rope. Another has fiberglass which looks OK but they sell by the foot so to get enough for the car would be fairly expensive.

There are some rope type gasket materials for wood stoves that look like the large weave and come in various sizes. The color is wrong probably because some are impregnated with graphite but if well hidden, perhaps one of those would work.

Posted on: 2020/10/25 9:07
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Didn't get a whole lot done on the Panama today. Spent a good portion of my day off helping to recover a Jeep that had become hopelessly stuck in the mountains. And spent the remainder of the day with my family.

Had an hour or so tonight, so opened up the rebuilt fuel pump I received from Kanter. Wow, looks so nice compared to mine that came off. Right off the bat I noticed that it is definitely different than what came off the car. Both are Carter's, though they are different models. I asked the guys at Kanter if they needed my model number, and they said it didn't matter. But I want to confirm that this replacement one will work.

The In/Out ports on the fuel pump are opposite of what came off my car. The cam arm is a different style (longer) on the replacement, but it looks like the cam rider has the same placement/travel from the mounting face of the pump. Also, the cam rider itself is a not as deep. Thoughts?

I also pulled the fuel bowl and filter since it darkened significantly from the oil. I'm not totally sure how to clean the ceramic element....some guys say lacquer thinner, some say acetone, one said vinegar. I have it soaking in acetone overnight, since that's what I had on hand.

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  (108.71 KB)
1059_5f97a4d74ac44.jpg 1024X576 px

jpg  (110.40 KB)
1059_5f97a4f16410c.jpg 1024X576 px

jpg  (112.33 KB)
1059_5f97a50460201.jpg 1024X576 px

jpg  (78.44 KB)
1059_5f97a513844ca.jpg 817X496 px

Posted on: 2020/10/26 23:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The pad on your cam looks quite worn so, as long as it's in the same location and the angle is the same, it should be fine. However, the inlet on yours should be at the rear but if it isn't, you'll have to remove the housing and reverse it. It too difficult but best to look up ad follow the reassembly procedure as outlined in the shop manual.

The line from the pump to the filter should be a single piece of steel tubing and if it is, it can't be installed any other way. All 1951-1954 Packards had the front as the outlet so odd they would sell you one that is so wrong.

Posted on: 2020/10/27 2:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Suction at the rear and pressure toward the front is correct. New pump looks good to me. Took me some time to find a picture showing the general plumbing scheme.

A piece of 5/16 x 30 premade tubing from the auto parts store is about perfect to bend up a new fuel tube to the carb. For $4 or so its a nice dressup.

Attach file:

jpg  (136.55 KB)
618_5f97f518670d2.jpg 890X889 px

Posted on: 2020/10/27 5:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Thanks Don and Ross. Don, to be clear, the replacement pump has the outlet on the front, so it appears that it is correct. I have no idea why my old pump was backwards. The fuel line from the pump to the carb has all sorts of bends in it, so it needs to be replaced anyways. Thanks for the sizing on replacement tube Ross.

My car doesn't have a heat shield. How necessary is it?

Also, what material are the two vacuum lines supposed to be on the top of the pump? Rubber? Steel lines? Some pictures of routing would be nice too. I think I know where they are supposed to go, but no idea how they get there.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2020/10/27 9:07
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 33 34 35 (36) 37 38 39 ... 141 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved