Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 21 22 23 (24) 25 26 27 ... 144 »

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
I think I got mine on eBay- found this:https://www.ebay.com/itm/251169591646

Posted on: 2020/9/1 15:23
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Thanks for the link Ken. I'll check around and see if anyone around me has one that will work, if not then I'll order that one.

Question about compression test....do it with the engine warm or cold? I'm reading lots of different opinions on the internet and the service manual doesn't state either way.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2020/9/2 10:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Most people use the three legged puller, but a five legged puller is the best and if any thing keep looking because you can usually find a used one at a good price.
I myself found a hyd. puller on ebay, I like because no hammering. Also never strike the end of the puller since there is a block in between the two axles.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (170.53 KB)
1003_5f4fbbd251171.jpg 720X960 px

Posted on: 2020/9/2 10:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
I've always done it cold. The important thing is you want the choke and the throttle plates held open.

Best data would be cold and dry, cold and wet (2-3 squirts of motor oil down each spark plug hole), and then hot. The differences would be interesting.

Posted on: 2020/9/2 10:39
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Finally got the compression test done. The engine was slightly warm (drove it from my neighbor's house to mine....all of 150 yards, then sat for an hour.

Labeled all plug wires, removed all plugs, removed negative (yellow) wire from the coil, and unplugged the coil wire for good measure. Results are as follows:

#1: 155
#2: 145
#3: 130
#4: 145
#5: 145
#6: 140
#7: 140
#8: 155

So I guess I'm okay?

The plugs were all covered in carbon (new plugs), so if I understand it right I'm dealing with a rich mixture. No oil on the plugs and no signs of coolant. I have no idea how to adjust the carburetor so a little help there would be good. I have the Motor's manual and the book by Neal Donovan, but reading through the carb chapters is like a foreign language.

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  (40.88 KB)
1059_5f5424593b9ae.jpg 576X1024 px

Posted on: 2020/9/5 18:51
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In addition to what is in the 51-4 service manual for the WGD, Mikes Carburetor Parts has the dedicated WGD rebuild sheet published by Carter which you can download. Either may be slightly less confusing than the one description fits all instructions that Motors sometimes provided.http://www.carburetor-blog.com/carter-wgd-carburetor/
Mike's also has kits and some individual parts for sale but not much in the way of adjustment info. Other than maybe tweaking the idle adjust screws for the best vacuum after the carb is installed just about everything else would be covered by following the rebuild instructions and the specifications for the 2102s carb as used on the 5411 chassis. Those specs are in the April 54, Vol 28 #4 service counselor.

Posted on: 2020/9/5 19:27
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Compression looks pretty good. Did you try squirting a little oil down each cylinder and re-test? Also, did you hold the choke and throttle plate open?

Posted on: 2020/9/5 20:11

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Kevinpackard, may we start with you identifying which carburetor is installed. It should have a Carter WGD 2102S as Howard identified, but after so many years ? I think we can all agree the plugs indicate a rich mixture, which may result from several 'non-standard' carburetor conditions. Incorrect float level height, and/or the 'needle and seat' valve not sealing are the two most common. I would also think with that rich of a mixture the engine would be prone to stalling, and have a distinct fuel odor. Using the published idle mixture screw starting point . . . so many turns from the seat . . . will get you in the right ball park, and will surely not be wildly rich. Once you track-down the adjustment specifications I would double check that the idle mixture screw adjustments are 'close'.

The WGD is not an overly complex carburetor. You read the training manuals and then ask the questions, before you have 47 pieces in a coffee can. There are a few special tools required to do a complete rebuild, but I bet, based on the condition of the plugs, the real problem will likely be easy to find. Again, let's start with the mixture screws and go from there.

dp

Posted on: 2020/9/5 20:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Howard - Thanks! I knew about Mike's Carburetor Parts, but didn't know they had instructions to download. I hadn't explored the site very much. The info on the Service Counselor is great as well. I will definitely look it over.

Ken - I did not squirt any oil down inside because the numbers seemed okay, except for maybe #3. I also don't have an oil can so didn't have a way to get oil in there anyways. I did have the choke and throttle wide open for all of them. I was expecting lower numbers so was a bit surprised at how high they were.

David - The carburetor is a Carter WGD 2102S. The choke has been changed at some point in the past to a manual choke. Besides that I have no idea if anything else has been done with it. It looked like it hadn't been touched besides the new choke....the rest of the assembly was completely caked in grime.

I'm hoping that the mixture screws are it, but we'll see. I will need to read the manuals more before I attempt anything. I'm not even sure where the mixture screws are....I'm assuming they are the two brass screws at the bottom of the carb. But I won't mess with anything until I'm sure of what I'm doing.

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  (94.26 KB)
1059_5f545249a2b92.jpg 1024X664 px

Posted on: 2020/9/5 21:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Yes, those are the screws. Be sure to read everything you can before attempting any adjustments.

Posted on: 2020/9/5 22:15
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 21 22 23 (24) 25 26 27 ... 144 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved