Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
170 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 170

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Firewall paint color
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Packard Dude
See User information
Greetings. I'm doing the engine on a 1407 V-12 Club Sedan. The customer wants to do a color change sometime down the road and wants to paint the firewall while the engine is out. I've never really paid any attention to firewall colors before. Are those firewalls painted body color or black? Thanks.

Posted on: 2020/6/18 20:19
 Top  Print 

Re: Firewall paint color
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Body color, according to the PI engine room judging guide.

Posted on: 2020/6/19 12:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I talked to Marano a while back and he told me they came both ways.

Posted on: 2020/6/19 13:25
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Could be I suppose, the known exceptions to the body color that I'm aware of are 1934 and 1953/1954 Caribbeans.

Posted on: 2020/6/19 13:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
My 38 super 8 came that way when I bought it, but I know it had a repaint at 1 time.

Posted on: 2020/6/19 14:39
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Maybe an individual custom body on an ordered chassis, but not on a production car. If the guy wants to change the color someday he will have to say just that. I don't know what level of paint job he is planning, but saying you are doing something to save money on Packards sounds ridiculous. Just the gas bill alone is going to be more than the cost of painting the firewall.

I thought the original Caribbeans I saw had body color on the firewall. Maybe Mitchell-Bentley might do something like that if a color change was made in the middle of the order. I knew backyard guys who painted that stuff black to avoid the hassle of doing the job as built. On second thought one of them was owned by Beardslee and probably was repainted, another was owned by a Mobil oil guy and probably was repainted by a body shop, a third was light blue but so dirty who knows, finally a fourth was a White and black 54 that was wrapped around a telephone pole and I think it was black wash on the firewall. I should have taken more pictures. I never saw one of those cars that was well taken care of. So until a well kept, low mileage, original shows up I will go with cheap black wash on the 53-54 Caribbean firewall. Along with newspaper packed under the fender trim that accelerated deterioration. Oh, and another one that had overspray on it, but I think was black as well.

34 still had the separate firewall panel and every original one I ever saw was standard black. I suppose someone could tell the dealer to change it, but without the original invoice I'm inclined to the convenient history conclusion. It can be yanked off and repainted, but why would someone want that? Certainly not in a chauffeur driven car and who living in Old Westbury would tell the groundskeeper that he was going to do the oil changes himself?

Posted on: 2020/6/19 18:08
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Packard Dude
See User information
Thanks, guys. I'm going with body color.

Posted on: 2020/6/20 22:17
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved