Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 156

DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1925 seven day non-stop trip???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
The October 1925 issue of National Geographic has this ad about a non-stop cross country trip.
Does anyone know if the story of this adventure is told in a book?

Attach file:

jpg  (365.16 KB)
441_5ef02aea74ef2.jpg 1182X1920 px

Posted on: 2020/6/21 22:54
 Top  Print 

Re: 1925 seven day non-stop trip???
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I've never seen this, that's pretty cool. The map makes me laugh. They took some geographical liberty: Phoenix is located far north of Albuquerque 😄

Posted on: 2020/6/22 6:31
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
There are several "liberties."

This is fascinating to me at this time. My home of 18 years is sold and I am moving to Maryland in July.

Do I ship the Duchess or drive coast-to-coast? Has anyone here done it?

I have a reunion to attend in Los Gatos, CA, Oct. 3. I could leave her here until then, fly back, drive down to San Francisco, attend the reunion, and head east to NV, UT, WY, etc on the Lincoln Highway.

I've been looking at the PI article by Jay Johnson on the Lincoln Highway Centennial last year from Washington, DC to San Francisco. It's very tempting. I could stop and meet more Packard enthusiasts along the way. Do you live on or near the Lincoln Hwy route? I'm sure there would be a few. I could take my PAC and PI rosters. I could blog about the trip.

This 1925 ad shows a different route from Los Angeles.

And I'm curious about Route 66. The Duchess is no Corvette, but that Nelson Riddle instrumental from the TV show with Martin Milner and George Maharis gets me day dreaming about a long drive across country.
http://www.nelsonriddlemusic.com/Nelson%20Riddle%20-%20Track%2003.mp3

I don't know about never shutting off the engine.

Posted on: 2020/6/22 8:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning Joe...You have had the Princess for many years and know what she can and can not do. If you let her find her way...at the speed she likes, I'll bet she makes it just fine. I would imagine that this would be at least a two person trip...what great fun it would be on the Lincoln Highway! It seems to me without looking at a map that the Lincoln Highway would be the more northern route...The Princess, and you, would most likely be happier on the northern (cooler) route! Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2020/6/22 11:13
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Do it. Do it. Do it. Where in Maryland?

Posted on: 2020/6/22 11:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
HEADLINE "Old guy kicks the bucket driving off a cliff in an old Packard trying to check a cross-country trip off his bucket list."

But what a way to go!

Potomac, Ross.

Thanks for the encouragement, Ernie.

So much to do to get out of here, it's kind of a dream. But seriously thinking about it.

Posted on: 2020/6/22 12:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Joe, early October should be a good time to make such a trip. Hot summer temperatures will have gone away so cooler driving. There will be reduced daylight hours, but still plenty of light for as long as you want to drive in a day. Should be free of snow and ice on your route. Suggest you make contacts with members, who post here, for advice and help should it be needed along the route. Someone sitting right seat is a good idea and could help with the driving chores, provide some conversation and navigation help. With good planning and good luck you could have a great road trip. And, just think what a great documentary it would make.

Speaking of documentaries, I am reading Peter Egan's "On the Road" - America's Favorite Automotive Writer Stays Off the Interstate. It is suggested for inspiration and good entertainment. It is a collection of his articles for Road&Track about his various drives in some pretty unusual vehicles on some very interesting routes. Staying off of the Interstates is a more interesting way to go.

Back in the early 1960s a buddy and I drove a 1940 Ford Coupe from Hartford to Santa Fe in early October. It was an uneventful drive and a great memory. We drove at a modest 50 mph due to oil consumption at higher speeds.

When will you ever get another chance to have an adventure like this?

Posted on: 2020/6/22 12:51
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Thanks, Jaydub, That's exactly, at 77, I was thinking. When are they coming to take the keys, from my cold dead hand?

I'll check that book out. I have a little time. Also the Lincoln Highway Assn has helpful info on their website. Of course I could go on the road and winging it like Ken Kesey. He was from Oregon, too.

But will you be up at 3am to take the phone call?

Posted on: 2020/6/22 13:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
If you call, I'll take it. Don't worry, I'll take care of everything. I'll even call the tow truck for you.

Posted on: 2020/6/22 13:17
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Joe - seriously, you will be my guest if your route takes you through Santa Fe. A place to stay and good food and drink. Take care and stay well.

Posted on: 2020/6/22 17:09
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved