Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 102

Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

EE-22 Question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
I have asked by one of our club members to look at some EE-22 carbs on his behalf. What do the experienced here advise I should be looking for in particular, in checking these over?

Posted on: 2020/7/2 5:59
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Re: EE 22 Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
What is the question?

Posted on: 2020/7/2 8:25
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Firstly, EE-22s came in several venturi sizes and different configurations depending on use by Packard, Chrysler, Lincoln, Nash, etc so get full particulars as to specific configuration.

The only real design weakness in the EE-22 is the the strength of the casting at the fuel inlet so use extra scrutiny in that area when checking for structural integrity.

Posted on: 2020/7/2 8:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
OD's right about the inlet. When i work on one of these i figure im working with glass.

The Fuel Pump to Carb TUBE will put strain and vibration on the Inlet. Suggest a 3"lg Fuel Line Hose b installed between the two.

Theres getting to b less Bowls available so treat them as Gold Glass.

Posted on: 2020/7/2 10:33
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
gents, I'll be looking these carbs over on Sunday. Your advice on the areas or features where problems may lie is what I need to know.

Concerning the type of EE-22, I'm told it's to replace one on a '35 Super Eight with 1 & 3/16" diameter throttle(correct term?) bore size. The carbs I'll be inspecting were owned by a guy with '35 and '36 Packards and believe these were spares he collected over the years. Besides the EE-22 mark, are there any other markings that will help me in identification?

Posted on: 2020/7/2 14:47
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Unless there was some sort of manifold swap, for that car you should be looking for an EE-23, not an EE-22. BIG difference.

The proper terminology is venturi size or diameter rather than bore. For the EE-22 used only in 1933/1934 the Super Eight venturi is 1-3/16, Eight is 1-3/32 and I assume the same for the EE-23s used in 1935/1936.

I've posted here quite a few times a chart from an old Chilton's which gives the specs and various component part numbers for many of the Strombergs used by Packards. You should be able to find it with a simple search but if not, let me know and I'll get to my PC and dig it out again. It's on yellow paper.

Posted on: 2020/7/2 15:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Another little TIDPIT: Ive ran 1-3/32 on su8s and 1-3/16 on 8s and cant tell the diff. Would guess PACKARD went with their standard theory - every model should have a diff size weather they need it or not.

Posted on: 2020/7/3 10:22
 Top  Print 

Re: EE-22 Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon...Wow, if you are correct, all of the different non-essential parts would certainly raise your costs and lower your profits...I should think...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2020/7/3 17:01
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Well, I once had an EE-23 with an EE-22 bowl. Maybe I still have it. Seriously, Mal, I've got a couple 23's, 3/32.
Who's looking? (LF?)

Posted on: 2020/7/3 21:25
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
David,

Never know, there could have been some "swapsie" of parts along the way or even an entire carburettor! And no, not LF, but the guy whose '35 Coupe Wade worked on. You would know the car as it was in NZ for the Warbirds Rally a couple of years back. Going to look at the carbs tomorrow morning, so should know more then. On the way home am meeting with a guy whose uncle was a early Packard aficionado here, to get a story/stories for our club magazine.

Posted on: 2020/7/3 22:02
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved