Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
24 user(s) are online (22 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 23

Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Randy Malcom Berger
Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Was informed that Randy Berger has passed away awaiting details he had been sick for short time. I visited him a couple of days ago asked me to post on Packardinfo his passing. For me this is a difficult thing to do as Randy and I have spent many summer days at car events. He had great pleasure telling people about Best Other and its features. He will be missed by my entire family as we considered him one of us. His knowledge of 55 56 Packards was only exceeded by his knowledge Ives trains. I will miss my friend

Attach file:

jpg  (355.28 KB)
252_5f009fc183766.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (362.13 KB)
252_5f00a02c8647b.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/7/4 10:26
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print 

Re: Randy Malcom Berger
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
This is terrible news. The Packard automobile people have lost a good friend.

Posted on: 2020/7/4 10:57
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
ac, it's with a heavy heart and with the news still fresh in my mind about the passing of Ole Book that I now read your message about my dear friend Randy. We'd been friends for many years, in fact first making mutual acquaintance on this very forum back almost in its infancy. We enjoyed regular phone calls and did several Packard club tours and national meets together. Randy was a fine gentleman, a very knowledgeable authority in both of his hobbies, and will be sorely missed by all who knew him.

Posted on: 2020/7/4 11:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I am sorry to hear of the passing of Randy.

I met him virtually through this site, but also physically at a couple of PAC National meets.

The man in black will be missed.

Posted on: 2020/7/4 13:54
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Al,

I'so sorry to hear of Randy's passing. I met Randy initially through PackardInfo and then on 2 of my US trips. On the first of those trips he travelled from his home near Pittsburgh to the National Packard Museum at Warren Ohio. Talk about going out of your way to be welcoming to an Aussie tourist! And he did it in "Best Other" which we went to lunch in. I'll be eternally grateful for a mostly long-distance friendship, to my "namesake", he called me that, seeing we share the name "Malcolm".

Vale Randy - A true gentleman. You will be sorely missed.

Attach file:

jpg  (65.19 KB)
226_5f00eed1bae35.jpg 929X697 px

jpg  (76.58 KB)
226_5f00eedf4a5b4.jpg 864X648 px

Posted on: 2020/7/4 15:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Met Randy at Hershey in 2012. A true Packard nut and all round good guy. No one else is allowed to die in 2020...is that agreed? Peter Toet.

Posted on: 2020/7/5 2:38
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Agreed. No further deaths will be tolerated. Is there a Mrs Berger or other family to whom one might send a card?

Posted on: 2020/7/5 6:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I'm sorry to hear of his loss. I never met him but he was very prominent here on PI especially his knowledge of 55 & 56 models.

Posted on: 2020/7/5 7:11
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Al, I just found your post this AM, and I could only think of a few other people whose passing could weigh so heavily on my spirit.

I first made Randy's acquaintance, online, in the wee small hours of the morning, in a live chatroom, prior to the establishment of this site - perhaps even prior to our previous use of the AACA Packard DF. I had actually seen his 56 Four Hundred, in the absence of its owner, a few years earlier - on the lawn of the Trumbull County Courthouse, which is where the Warren Museum's annual meet was held prior to the establishment of its present location. (It was much later, I believe, that the car came to be known as "Best Other".)

In 2003, I met Randy face-to-face (when he still sported a beard), at the Warren Museum's All-Packard meet, on the South Lawn of the Packard Music Hall, where he kept me hydrated (literally, with water) there for hours. I took a picture of Randy standing next to his 400 that day - an image that he like so well, he used it as his avatar.

Some years later, Randy told me that his wife had passed away, but long before she did, she had made it a point to tell him to make sure and restore that car.

One time, he drove all the way from Pittsburgh to meet me at the Perrysburg meet, and before we left for the day, he asked me to have dinner with him and then went ahead and paid for my meal.

Yet, Randy and I had some memorable contact outside of meets.

Back in the fall of '06, he had been attending a train auction about half an hour away, and afterward, he went out of his way to look me up, here at home, and I gave him the $0.05 tour of my offsite storage.

The following year, Randy e-mailed me (confidentially) with pix of a 56 Caribbean convertible for sale down in FL - that is, shortly after he struck a deal. After the shipper finally delivered the car, he invited me to come down to Irwin and see it. Though billed as partially restored, I think Randy ended up taking just about everything back apart and doing it right.

Although the car had been stored offsite, in a local shop, he also invited me over to his house to check out his train collection. Two and a half walls of his basement were covered from floor to ceiling with shelf after shelf of complete trains - locomotive, tender, freight/passenger car, and caboose. In the middle of it all, there was his extensive layout, which also he used to compose his annual Xmas photocard. Behind the Wizard's curtain, there was a workbench where he repaired trains and even made parts. In addition to boxes and shelves full of Packard and train parts, I also noticed several shelves full of old 45rpm records, but time was growing short that day. I later learned that he also had a working jukebox to play them.

Unfortunately, as my parents' health declined and problems became more frequent in more recent years, I fell out of touch with Randy. However, I must say it was a privilege and an honor to have been friends with such a great hands-on Packard owner. Yet, my experience with Randy is only a tiny fraction of his remarkable journey through life.

Godspeed Randy Berger!

Attach file:

jpg  (195.86 KB)
103_5f01e0c28216d.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2020/7/5 9:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Sad news indeed. Though I didn't personally know Randy, I've enjoyed and learned from his many post over the years here on the Forum. His enthusiasm for V8 Packards was manifest.

My condolence as well to Randy's family and many friends on here. We're all richer for his affects on our lives.

Steve

Posted on: 2020/7/5 9:23
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved