Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
26 user(s) are online (18 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 26

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Gas dribbling out of filler neck/gas cap at rapid pace, 54 Clipper
Just popping in
Just popping in

Karlyn
See User information
Hey everyone,
I'm super excited as I just bought my first packard. This excitement quickly faded as I just discovered gasoline dribbling out of the filler neck/gas cap after filling the gas tank. When the tank was less than half full I never experienced the issue. Then after filling the tank full and driving it home I niticed the gas dribbling out all over the drive. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Posted on: 2020/7/4 13:01
 Top  Print 

Re: Gas dribbling out of filler neck/gas cap at rapid pace, 54 Clipper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The first thought is if you still have the original cap, has the old gas cap gasket surface material hardened or shrunk and can no longer fit tightly against the fill pipe surface properly for a good seal.

Second thought is a replacement cap might be the wrong one.

Third possibility is a controversy that started a few years ago when replacement gas tanks hit the market. Some of those have a deep groove across the sealing surface that might be a perfect spot for a gas leak because of fuel seeping in the groove between the gasket and sealing surface. Take a look at the photo in this post and compare with yours. Apparently according to Fred some years had grooves and some years did not with the depth of the groove being another unanswered question. Let us know if your tank has the groove or if the surface is smooth.

Posted on: 2020/7/4 13:46
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Or a 4th possibility, a combination of an overfilled (to the brim) tank, a very short drive home, and parked in the hot sun. Simple thermal expansion.

Posted on: 2020/7/4 15:53
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Karlyn(54Packard415),
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '54 Clipper in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2020/7/4 16:24
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
When I bought my '54 it had a tune fish can over the gas cap to knock the splash away from staining the fender.

Wasn't there a fellow in Europe with the same issue a year ago . . . Mike's 53 Clipper?

See this thread:

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1677&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=580

dp

Posted on: 2020/7/4 18:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
My '54 Convertible has the same condition when filled with gas on a hot, sunny day. A new gas cap made no difference in my case. As O_D points out it is thermal expansion. I have found that the car needs to be driven around ten miles or so after being filled to the brim in warm weather. That will lower the fuel level enough to compensate for the thermal expansion.

Posted on: 2020/7/4 22:41
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
I am still using the thick aluminum/plastic foil can. That keeps the gas off the Fender, but I am still loosing some fuel. I got a spare tank, but have not tried it yet.
Can is easy and effective.

Posted on: 2020/7/5 14:41
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved