Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
33 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 33

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Removal of power antennas
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
I have a 57 Clipper and need to repair the power antennas.

Can anyone tell me how I get access to the power drum units for the antennas? I think it is through the trunk, but I cannot find a picture that shows how i access them.

Any help is appreciated.

Posted on: 2020/7/23 14:16
 Top  Print 

Re: Removal of power antennas
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Those units are accessed under the fender.

Posted on: 2020/7/23 16:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Thanks. I see that now. Prior owner took off the inside panels by the rt and lf fenders. I wasn't keen about tearing all of that up. Now I don't have too. Now if I can just find someone to repair the antennas...

Posted on: 2020/7/23 18:14
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might check with Tucson Packards about the repair. They have been able to work on several of the antennas used on earlier models.

Posted on: 2020/7/23 18:21
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Howard:
Thanks...
I have two folks that said they can repair my antennas.

I have the wiring and locking brackets removed but can't figure out how to remove the top cap of the antenna chrome bracket to the rear fender. My other cars have a area where a box end wrench will fit over the cap and remove it.
This cap has a small hole (`1/16") in it. Neither one of the repair guys where able to determine how to remove it.
I thought a box end wrench would fit, but no luck.

Thanks
Gar

Posted on: 2020/8/8 11:57
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the nut has a hole in one side it probably needs a spanner wrench. Those have a small prong on one end that fits in the hole and wraps around the nut for the leverage.

They come in various sizes so you would need to find something that both fits the diameter of the nut and has a pin that is the correct size for the hole. You might be able to make something that will work by bending a length of 1/4" square or 1/8 x1/4 rectangular metal into a semi circle of the proper diameter for the nut then drilling a hole in the end for a roll pin of the proper size to use for the prong. Depending on the nut's tightness the metal used would need to be thick enough not to bend when applying leverage. Some have also used channel lock pliers after carefully wrapping the jaws and the nut with tape to protect the chrome. Not the best idea because a sudden slip or tearing of tape and you could scratch the nut or fender.

If not, Amazon has some adjustable types like the one in the photo that might be small enough and you can often find used or sometimes inexpensive Chinese made sets on ebay.

Packard used the same method in attaching front antennas on some models as well as for various screw on type dash bezels.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.96 KB)
209_5f2ee6418edbf.jpg 754X1000 px

Posted on: 2020/8/8 12:55
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Howard:

Thanks! That is just what I need. Hitting ebay now...

Gar

Posted on: 2020/8/8 15:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
I used K D Tool handle spring remover to remove and tighten the nut

Attach file:

jpg  (121.27 KB)
252_5f2f687c37281.jpg 1200X1600 px

Posted on: 2020/8/8 22:07
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
THANKS for all of the guidance. The spanner wrench was the key to the successful removal of the antennas.

I appreciate the help and pictures.

Posted on: 2020/8/17 18:52
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved