Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

windshield wipers for 41
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
The posts on my 41 are splined. I have an assortment of arms.
The two on the right have splined sockets, but the larger one is I believe post-war. The two on the left have no sockets and have left and right bends. can anyone advise if any of these arre appropriate to my car (and possibly the application of the others)?

Attach file:

jpg  (558.86 KB)
1020_5f1db3a52d027.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/7/26 11:48
 Top  Print 

Re: windshield wipers for 41
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
oops "right" is now "top"

Posted on: 2020/7/26 11:49
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The electric S-W system uses ordinary holes and arms are held on by a barrel type nut. The right and left bottom two arms resemble Clipper thru 47 but may be too short. Clipper arms have a total length of just over 12" and the hole is 3/16" in diameter. I believe the windshield is not quite as wide or the arm posts quite as far apart on the 110-120 electric models so if the arms are shorter than 12" possibly one of those cars.

Posted on: 2020/7/26 12:34
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
The length info is helpful - these are about 9" from base center to rivet at end of arm. The lower two are set with barrel nuts. Do they mount into a similar socket as the other two?

My car is the conventional body, and vacuum. But the spacing should be the same as 120-110 electric since the cowl is the same.

Posted on: 2020/7/26 13:55
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

daves41
See User information
My wiper system seems to be working now, but the right side wiper doesn't (although turning under the dash). Is the arm splined for removal? There is a threaded hole in the top for some reason, unless it's used for the arm removal. That is screwing a bolt in there to push the spline off. I hesitate to do much, other than loosening the retaining nut, for fear of breaking it. I've included a photo. Thank you for whatever help anyone is able to offer.

Attach file:

jpg  (206.94 KB)
4796_5f3adec020e90.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/8/17 14:46
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

daves41
See User information
To fix the floppy wiper, experimenting, I found that threading a short screw into the hole on the top of the wiper arm bottom, actually allowed it to work. The only other change is I may replace the weakened spring with a stiffer one in the wiper arm. The photo shown does not have that screw in place, but I put in where what looks like a collar on the wiper arm resides.

Attach file:

jpg  (187.90 KB)
4796_5f4139a8d0fda.jpg 1441X1920 px

Posted on: 2020/8/22 10:28
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No clue if the conventional body electric wiper setup differs significantly from the Clipper version used thru 47 but here is some info and photos for the Clipper style.

The blade has a hole that fits down over the shaft and is held by a threaded cylinder with a screwdriver slot on one end. That acts much like a barrel nut and screws onto the shaft pressing the blade down onto the shaft. The cylinder nut is .345 or 11/32 -- just shy of 3/8 long by .235 or 1/64" shy of 1/4 inch. The shaft has serrations on the bottom which slide into the blade hole but I don't see any definitive matching serrations in the blade for them to grab onto. The screwdriver slots on the cylinder nut are flush with the blade housing when assembled.

Attach file:

jpeg  (82.87 KB)
209_5f415acbcc522.jpeg 1280X418 px

Posted on: 2020/8/22 12:54
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved