Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 154

Wat_Tyler, Don B, Pipesargent, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

31 Generator Cleanup
Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
Does anyone have advice on steps to take to get my 31 generator up to optimal performance? I pulled the generator out without fouling the timing chain sprocket (whew), and pulled the cutout switch off and sent it off for a rebuild as I wasn't convinced it was working. I noticed the commutator looked a tad cruddy and third brush sufficiently worn. The wires leading to the cutout are frayed and could use replacing. I found a set of brushes on Ebay which are currently on the way. I"m thinking about pulling it apart, thoroughly cleaning, replacing brushes and the frayed wires, then seeing where I'm at after the cutout comes back. What should / shouldn't I do?

Posted on: 2020/8/1 7:25
 Top  Print   

Re: 31 Generator Cleanup
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
All the things you've listed are good, but first after disassembly I'd take the fields and armature to a generator/starter shop and have them checked.

Posted on: 2020/8/1 9:07
 Top  Print   

Re: 31 Generator Cleanup
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
All the things you've listed are good, but first after disassembly I'd take the fields and armature to a generator/starter shop and have them checked.

Posted on: 2020/8/1 9:07
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved