Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 126

kevinpackard, BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 1942 "160" Engine Questions
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

auto.nut
See User information
Well today I will attempt to remove the valve timing cover which is no easy task, but things point to the cam gear to perhaps being one tooth off. My vacuum is quite low and goes lower as the rpm are decreased to almost 12 or 15 instead of 18 indicating late timing. Also took compression and all cylinders are low but even. This should not be, with new rings, valve grind, etc not long ago. Will post of what I find. Sure hope I am not not spinning wheels.

Posted on: 2020/8/25 7:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Somebody else chime in here and tell me if I'm way off-base, but it seems there has been quite a bit of 'post chatter' of late, about cams being 180 degrees off, a tooth off 'jumping a couple of teeth', and so on. To me, this sounds like bunk. Anybody with half a wit about them when they're assembling an engine would know how to line up the marks and install the chain correctly. If a chain is loose enough to 'jump' cogs, there are other, way bigger fish to fry with the engine's condition than fussing with the timing. What is described here sounds more like the distributor wire sequence is out by one position. If a guy gets #1 piston to TDC ON THE COMPRESSION STROKE, sees where the rotor is 'pointing' and which distributor cap position it corresponds with, and then traces each wire in the correct firing order to each plug, the engine should be 'in range' of the correct timing, enough to run. It can be tweaked by various methods (described at length by the many pros on the site) from there to optimal performance. The timing cover can be removed and the chain/cam checked, but that is A LOT of work, and going through the foregoing first is a lot less invasive. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/8/25 17:52
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Chris hit the nail on the head. If the engine was running properly and suddenly it isn't, it is very unlikely that the timing chain could have jumped a tooth. If the chain is that worn, then it's time to pull out the engine for a rebuild. More likely electrical or ignition, fuel pressure or even bad fuel.

Posted on: 2020/8/25 19:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
The engine stalling when the throttle is opened very quickly. Could that be an issue with the accelerator pump in the carburetor?

Posted on: 2020/8/25 19:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
My experience with jumped timing chains is that the engine will be running nicely. Then it fails to restart. The restarting is enough shock for the chain to jump. Of course this is with an engine with a badly worn chain and nothing else being changed before trying to restart.

Posted on: 2020/8/26 12:29
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

series014
See User information
I had a similar symptom recently. It turned out to be the coil. Which I found by reving the engine to a slight miss and found by using a harbor freight spark tester which hooks to the spark plug wire the spark was disappearing. I also found condensers out of spec. cause simular problem.

Posted on: 2020/8/27 14:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
I know in more modern engines, the top gear can be made out of a composite material to reduce noise. When these wear excessively, and the timing chain stretches a bit over time, they can 'jump'. I even saw one back when I was in the taxi business, where the top gear became so worn, it actually 'stripped' and the chain ended up 'freewheeling' with valves hitting pistons and the engine was done, but this was a cab with half a million miles on it. Packard's engines with their steel gears and robust, multi-strand chains should not be vulnerable these kinds of timing issues. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/8/27 21:49
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I like Marston's suggestion....

Posted on: 2020/8/28 8:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I see the Motors Manual says a low vacuum reading at idle can also be not enough clearance on the valves. But with hydraulic lifters I wouldn't think that would be your problem....

Posted on: 2020/8/28 10:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Here's what the 49_Carburetor Training Book says.
https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/49_CarburetorTrainingBook.pdf
Wes

Attach file:

png  (59.59 KB)
1003_5f4aba85c951c.png 402X481 px

Posted on: 2020/8/29 15:28
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved