Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 166

dallas, tabletennissport, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

1928 Starter-Shorting Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
I just tried to start my 533 and hear a loud hum (like a motor that is shorted out) when I try to start the car. I assume a winding or other wire has shorted out but could it be something else?

I assume I will need to pull the starter.

Does this unit DH695 have a starter solenoid?

Thanks
Gar

Posted on: 2020/8/13 19:35
 Top  Print 

Re: 1928 Starter-Shorting Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

rrhorton
See User information
My 526 had the same problem. Turns out that my battery was not charged enough and would not spin the starter fast enough to engage the bendix pawl. Check the battery.

Posted on: 2020/8/18 9:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Thanks. I checked that out and had 7.2 volts at the starter. I also put the jump starter on it and had it boost the amperage as well. No luck.

Any idea on how i can check to see if it is really shorting out before I go and remove it?

Posted on: 2020/8/18 14:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
It could just be the drive. Put your have on it when it is running and see if it feels as if it is running. Not that hard to remove, cable and one bolt-it is heavy!

Posted on: 2020/8/18 16:06

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hello all, I may be barking up the wrong tree here but it was a common thing for the 5th, 6th Series and other early Packards to lock the Bendix. This would give a slight "clunk" then nothing. The bendix effectively jams in the ring gear. Mine does it a few times a year. Simple fix. You undo the single top holding bolt and retract the starter a few inches ( with wires attached) and the bendix retracts. Reinsert the starter snub...do up the single bolt and off you go. It is a PITA when it occurs but that is the joy of owning a 90 year old Automobile/ whatever. I always carry the spanner with me. I also carry a 12 volt jumper pack for really hot vapour lock days and boy does that 6V starter love the extra juice.
Stay Safe from Down Under. Peter Toet

Posted on: 2020/8/19 2:04
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
I agree with Peter, I have had the same experience with my 633's and the 126 but not as often.
Those starter motors are about the easiest to remove of any car in my experience. Just one easily accessed bolt.

Posted on: 2020/8/19 2:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
I removed the power from the battery and pulled the 3/4" bolt. How hard should it be to pull the starter out toward the front of the radiator? I assume that there is about 95 years of CRUD holding it in position. I am thinking of a gear puller? Is that too aggressive?

Posted on: 2020/8/19 8:28
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I suggest using a plumber's strap wrench to break the starter free. Just an ever so slight rotation should loosen it.

Posted on: 2020/8/19 8:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
I would advise against using a 12V jump unless there is absolutely no alternative. The Bendix can slam the gear out with such force it will crack/break the nose cone.

I believe the Packard manual actually covers the stuck starter gear issue, suggesting rocking the car and letting out the clutch. Rather difficult to do if you don't have a couple able bodied guys around though.

Posted on: 2020/8/19 17:16
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
I tried a bit of heat from a propane torch; more deep creep; and tried the strap wrench. Still nothing.

? Could the gear be engaged and that is why I cannot remove it?

Posted on: 2020/10/10 18:56
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved