Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 90

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Front shocks
Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I have the Delco front shocks on my 38 1601. Is there a left and right shock and if so how can you tell the difference? I can't seem to find part numbers

Posted on: 2020/8/21 6:29
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Re: Front shocks
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Originally coded by the alpha numeric sequence on one of the end caps. Had to do with the valving.
80 years later, nothing more than trivial.

Posted on: 2020/8/21 6:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
So are you saying that left and right are the same?

Posted on: 2020/8/21 7:25
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Yes, left and right are the same.

Posted on: 2020/8/21 9:36
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Thanks folks

Posted on: 2020/8/21 9:56
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Guys,

I'm kind of coming in here sideways, but I have been contemplating redoing the front shocks on my '39. Presuming (at great risk, I know!) that they are the same or similar to the '38, a) what is involved in removing them and b) not thinking they have been reproed, where does one get them repaired/rebuilt?? The reason I am concerned on mine is that they are completely non-functioning, to the point that the 'last guy' welded a couple of brackets to the frame and installed conventional tube-shocks. While this gives good motion absorption to the front end and the car steers quite well, I understand the original shock is part of the suspension and if I run the car with them worn out, they could fail catastrophically. I DID check them for fluid when I had the clip off for the engine R&R, and tried to add fluid. One seemed to retain it and the other, it ran right back out again. Presume the seal is done. Any guidance and/or advice much appreciated. Thanks. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/8/21 14:35
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe the only company that still rebuilds directly for the owner and may have some already rebuilt exchange shocks for sale is Apple Hydraulicshttps://www.applehydraulicsonline.com/collections/packard There was another place some had used, Five Points Classic Shocks, but their website does not seem to be currently active nor was it when I checked many months ago so they may have closed.

I think Kanter has someone else do their rebuilds and they probably have exchange shocks available for your car too. I bought a set from them for my 47.

Posted on: 2020/8/21 15:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
There are 2 shocks on Ebay right now but they have 2 different part numbers

Posted on: 2020/8/21 21:19
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thanks Howard and Phil. I will check out sources for rebuilds. Back to my original question, what is involved in R&Ring them? Is it a huge job?? Can a 'medium mechanic' such as myself tackle such a job, or are there a bunch of specialty tools and technical procedures involved??? Chris.

Posted on: 2020/8/22 23:23
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Not sure on the 1939, but I don't believe there are any specialty tools needed. A coil spring compressor would be one tool you might not have, but could probably rent or borrow.

Posted on: 2020/8/23 8:13
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved