Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 135

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Deven Vance
See User information
Howdy all. I recently picked up a '55 400 and it has something I've never seen before. It has original full leather seats. The car was originally a Packard dealer's and the story is that he ordered it specially with leather seats. How rare is this? Are there any other examples? My VIN tag doesn't help regarding interior codes as it isn't original to the car, but I know the seats are definitely how they left the Packard factory, as I've seen photos of the car when it was new. Also, I've seen part leather-part cloth seats, but never full leather such as mine. Looking forward to hearing everyone's responses!

Attach file:

jpeg  (83.51 KB)
162555_5f448da6afd9a.jpeg 960X720 px

jpeg  (77.69 KB)
162555_5f448dba9b524.jpeg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2020/8/24 23:05
1955 Packard 400 (Daily Driver)

1950 Packard Standard 8 (Daily Driver)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Deven,

Not a '55/56 Four Hundred but Randy Berger(deceased) had a '56 Patrician with a full leather interior, including headliner. Link to Randy's Patrician Blog.

Also, a link to a previous thread re '56 leather interiors.

Posted on: 2020/8/24 23:20
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Deven Vance wrote:
Howdy all. I recently picked up a '55 400 and it has something I've never seen before. It has original full leather seats. The car was originally a Packard dealer's and the story is that he ordered it specially with leather seats. How rare is this? Are there any other examples? My VIN tag doesn't help regarding interior codes as it isn't original to the car, but I know the seats are definitely how they left the Packard factory, as I've seen photos of the car when it was new. Also, I've seen part leather-part cloth seats, but never full leather such as mine. Looking forward to hearing everyone's responses!

There were several 1955 and 1956 Packards ordered with full leather interiors. So this may not be as unusual as one might imagine. But these were not standard interiors (which were only partly leather).

Full leather interiors had to be custom ordered at extra cost. Thus the reason why there were not a lot of them... but there were indeed several, so ordered. In the Four Hundred, the full leather interior was basically the same theme and pattern as the 1955 Caribbean convertible. Biggest difference from Caribbeans was the lower cushion bolster was deleted in favor of just pleats.

? ALSO, the handful of 1955 Caribbean hardtops (most made at Creative Industries of Detroit) usually had full leather interiors.

? The 1955 Request concept car (also built at Creative Industries of Detroit) also originally had a full leather interior based on 1955 Caribbean convertible.

? There were also several Patricians custom-ordered with full-leather interiors. One beautiful example was a dark metallic blue 1956 Patrician that once lived in the Chicago, Illinois area. It also had factory air. No idea where it is today.

Posted on: 2020/8/25 0:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard
See User information
I own a ?55 Clipper Custom with orginal full leather seats

Posted on: 2020/8/25 5:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Packard wrote:
I own a ?55 Clipper Custom with orginal full leather seats

Yes. I neglected to mention that I knew of at least two 1955-56 Clippers with full leather interiors and one, possibly two 1956 Executives with full leather interiors (one once belonged to me). I suspect there were several others.

Your Clipper with full leather must be magnificent. It would be so nice to see photos of this automobile!

The factory leather was supplied by Lackawanna Leather Company (which I believe is long out of business). And the interiors were normally cut and stitched-up by Mitchell-Bentley Company of Owosso, Michigan. They still had samples on the walls there when I visited Bill Mitchell there in the 1970s.

M-B was also the company that did the conversion of standard Packard convertibles into Caribbeans for 1953 and 1954.

Mitchell-Bentley did a lot of work together with Creative Industries of Detroit.

Posted on: 2020/8/25 7:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Oddly enough, I have seen TWO 56 Clippers Deluxe with leather. Very spiffy.

Posted on: 2020/8/25 11:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
If memory serves me correctly, 5582-1001 (first production Patrician) had a leather interior. I believe everything was leather except for the seat cushion inserts. The leather was done in white and the cushion inserts fabric was a different color. Maybe the inserts were changed at some time in its life to fabric due to the heat and humidity in central Texas. It had an after market air conditioning system. It had been for sale for some time, and I wonder what ever happened to that Packard.

Posted on: 2020/8/25 11:58
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Deven

About twenty years ago here in western New York, there was what had been a black and white '55 400 with the exact same color combination all-leather interior as yours. The car itself was savagely rusted, had had all the lower body 'bondo-ed' and painted with shiny black Rust-o-leum on which someone had screwed 1963 Buick Electra lower body trim and wheelhouse moldings.

That poor '55 400 was a ruined, barely functional mess, though the seller had big ideas about how valuable it was. Its long since disappeared. One can only hope someone put it out of its misery, at least salvage whatever mechanical, etc. that was still usable.

To save and preserve your original leather, check into Fiebling's Hide Food which is one of the best for restoring old dyed up hides. Fiebling's has a line of leather care products.

Steve

Posted on: 2020/8/25 12:11
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
My '55 Patrician is an odd combination of "features". It has full leather seats in two tone green, and headliner.

BTW, that seat leather is way thicker than anything found in vehicles today.

Meanwhile, the exterior is single tone white and the power windows and seats were deleted in favor of hand operated. Apparently somebody didn't trust all that new-fangled electric stuff.

Posted on: 2020/8/27 20:29
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1948 Custom Touring Sedan (22nd Series)
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information

Posted on: 2020/8/28 6:58
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved