Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

What is This?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
A friend of mine has sent this picture of his mother with the family car -presumably mid-1920s.

He was told it's a Packard Six, which I very much doubt.

It's right hand drive and is a tourer with only two doors. It's difficult to see because the open door is obscuring the front of the car. The wheelbase looks smaller than the 126 inches of a Packard Six and the wheels/hubs don't look familiar. At that time, many foreign chassis were imported and bodied locally. The designs of those bodies often did not resemble factory models. More like what the local body company was producing.

Any ideas or suggestions on what this might be?

Attach file:

jpeg  (234.72 KB)
191498_5f65d48815f47.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/9/19 4:51
1941 120 Club Coupe (SOLD)
1956 Clipper Deluxe (RHD and auto) - for the wife, or so I told her!
 Top  Print 

Re: What is This?
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Not much of the car can be seen. To bad the radiator can't be seen.....

Posted on: 2020/9/19 8:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Definitely not a Packard Six, nothing matches. not the five bolt wheels with front wheel brake, not the flat, uncrowned fender or the parabolic headlight shells. Two door phaetons had almost no popularity in the U.S.

You might try posting this photo on the AACA Form Photos Section "What is it?" to reach a wider audience of knowledgeable old car folks to get a positive identification.

Steve

Posted on: 2020/9/19 10:52
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Thanks guys - yes, it's a tough one because the radiator is obscured. The wheels and hubs were also the main reason I doubted it was a Packard Six.

I'll try throwing it on to the AACA site to see if somebody can come up with an ID.

Brian

Posted on: 2020/9/19 22:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Well for those of you who could not sleep at night, it appears that the pictured car is a Fiat 509 of about 1925/26. Most likely Australian-bodied but in the style of the factory two-door "Torpedo" of the time. Apparently the wheels and hubs are a give-away, plus the front drum brake.

Not that I would know.

My friend now recalls that his dad did own a Fiat around that time. Bet he wished he had a Packard. This was a good little car, with almost 1000cc of stump pulling power and a top speed of just over 40mph! But not in the league of a Packard Six.

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2020/9/20 21:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
At first glance something didn't seem right, then I realized that either the car was tiny or the woman was very tall! I'm opting for the former.

Posted on: 2020/9/20 22:39
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved