Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 139

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Packard Clipper Custom 1955 levelizer motor / automatic suspension..
Just popping in
Just popping in

Emelie
See User information
Hi!

From Sweden here, have a Packard Clipper Custom 1955 and my problem is that this is supposed to adjust automatically but now I have to do it manually from inside the car..

Here's a picture of the copper that's been broken right of the middle. Is there any way to repair it or buy a replacement?

Any info/tip would be most helpful!

Best Regards /Emelie

Attach file:

jpg  (167.89 KB)
218036_5f688fab1a537.jpg 1441X1920 px

Posted on: 2020/9/21 6:34
- "Ask the man who owns one.."
 Top  Print 

Re: Packard Clipper Custom 1955 levelizer motor / automatic suspension..
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
That is a new type of failure--have not seen that one in 40+ years of looking at these things. I could send you a whole controller perhaps. Really don't want to try and remove that contact as it is swaged on.

Posted on: 2020/9/21 6:44
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Emelie
See User information
Hi!

A whole new controller would be amazing, can you take a photo of it? My man have a friend who deals with carparts and has his own container so would ship through his address.

But let me know price and a picture of the controller.

//Emelie

Attach file:

jpg  (203.95 KB)
218036_5f68a2941a7be.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/9/21 7:54
- "Ask the man who owns one.."
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Emelie(PennyClipper),
to PackardInfo, and I invite you to include your '55 Clipper Custom in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2020/9/21 15:38
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I don't have a new controller but I can clean and test an old one for you. There may be new ones around at one of the usual vendors if that is what you prefer.

Posted on: 2020/9/23 6:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I would solder it back .with a piece of copper over break.

Posted on: 2020/9/24 1:09
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dads 56
See User information
Hi . Would you be willing to walk a novice how you would test one? I found one in the trunk when cleaning my car out. Apparently dad was trying to figure out why the torsion level system was not working

Posted on: 2020/10/7 19:32
1956 Packard Executive 2 door hard top (5677A)
1956 Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan (5622)(parts car)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Most of the time the control switch failures are due to contacts inside the switch enclosure oxidizing and then failing to make a good connection to bring in another component.

The operation is easy to check but if the switch has never been apart there are 4 rivets to drill out so the box can be opened and the internal components viewed. Once the switch is checked and contacts cleaned the rivets are replaced with screws and nuts.

You can check the switch on a bench or in the car. If the switch was in the trunk then checking on the bench will be easier. Connect one terminal from a battery as ground to the switch case. Place a small jumper wire from the other battery post on the center (light green) terminal. If a 55 box, the connection will be an exposed screw terminal on the bottom. If a 56 box, the terminal is a push on bullet type connector inside the bottom weathertight enclosure.

Move the lever that connects to the torsion bar in one direction checking for spring tension at the same time to make the contact connection at (1) in the photo and schematic. You should see the bimetal arms start to move. In about 7-10 seconds a contact (2) at the end of the bimetal will touch another contact on the base and one of the relays will pull in. If it does, release the lever and let it go back to the center position. Move the lever the other direction and the same thing happens again except the bimetal will swing the other way and touch a different contact to bring in the other relay.

If all that happens then the switch is functioning but the contacts could definitely stand a cleaning anyway. GENTLY use a point burnisher and clean the contacts. Pay particular attention to the bimetal contacts as the heater and connecting wires are exposed or just stretched across open space and are very delicate and can be caught and damaged. The relay contacts also need a cleaning.

If the bimetal does not start moving then the contacts at 1 are suspect or a heater is burned out. If the bimetals move but the relays do not come in at the end of 7-10 second time frame the contacts at 2 are suspect. If a heater is burned out there is no repair other than find another stock switch or get one of the reworked solid state converted units from one of our vendors.

Attach file:

jpg  (130.42 KB)
209_5f7e6b2308264.jpg 1769X1208 px

jpg  (148.12 KB)
209_5f7e6b3425fc2.jpg 1010X1273 px

Posted on: 2020/10/7 20:28
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dads 56
See User information
Wow! Awesome! Thank you very much! I will give this a go

Sean

Posted on: 2020/10/7 20:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dads 56
See User information
Thanks for the education! I tested both units, then cleaned the points and tested them again. 1 unit works perfectly, 7-8 seconds, both sides. The second unit.....1 side seems good, 7 seconds, the other side takes upwards of 25-30 seconds. I assume that means there is an issue with the 2nd unit? or can the points in location 2 be adjusted?

Posted on: 2020/10/11 13:39
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved