Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 131

tuskman, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Unusual wear on throw-out bearing
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
I have the engine out of my 1938 120, and inspected the clutch and throw out bearing while I had the opportunity. Clutch looks fine; I suspect recently upgraded, but the throw out bearing is odd.

The bearing itself had a lot of play, and needs to be replaced (it is a modern sealed bearing), and the ears on the throw out bearing collar, where it sits in the clutch fork is worn. What could cause that sort of wear?

I did the obvious, and checked for straightness of the clutch fork, and fit on the ball where it pivots. All seemed fine. Anything else I should look at, or has anyone else seen this?

I'll post pictures of the wear later tonight when I have access to the pictures. Thanks!

Edit: pictures added

Attach file:

jpeg  (211.55 KB)
2964_5f988d5790ebc.jpeg 1440X1920 px

jpeg  (218.26 KB)
2964_5f988d65d597a.jpeg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2020/10/27 14:44
 Top  Print 

Re: Unusual wear on throw-out bearing
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
My first guess is that a previous bearing did that?

Posted on: 2020/10/27 17:01
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Was pedal free-play present? Absence of free-play means the throwout bearing is in constant contact with the fork and release fingers, and hence wear and a very short bearing life.

Posted on: 2020/10/27 17:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Dave, thanks. I adjusted it about two years ago to get the free play back to factory spec; it was tight (i.e. very little free play) before that and may have been for some time. May also explain why the bearing was so sloppy.

Sounds like the likely cause, so I'll replace the bearing and collar, and set it back up per the book. Thanks!

Posted on: 2020/10/28 8:10
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved