Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
29 user(s) are online (20 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 28

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1949 oil canister
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

joey d
See User information
trying to get a picture of the inside of a 1949 oil canister to see what im missing, mine is empty no tubes or springs nothing, thank you

Posted on: 2020/12/4 17:25
 Top  Print 

Re: 1949 oil canister
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Joey d, there isn't much to see or photograph inside the oil filter canister. There is a central tube that the cover bolt threads into, and you should be able to see evidence of the fitting on the side wall, along with the 1/8 pipe drain fitting at the bottom if so equipped . . . not all were and the ones that don't required a lot of oily rags to clean the last bit of oil and junk out of the bottom. That drain is a bit off to the side and should not be confused with the fitting where the engine plumbing attaches. Now the cover is another story . . . there is a flat washer, spring, and bolt. The washer and spring may be captive. Likewise the bolt may be captive or easily removed. The cover has a lip to hold a gasket/seal, and the bolt will likely have a metal washer to effect a seal in that area. That's about it . . . an empty can. Most of the 'cans' will have the limiting orifices incorporated as specific diameter drilled passages . . . . something you can't change, nor should you. Most of us use a 'turkey baster' to remove the 'dirty' oil during a filter change. I'm guilty of not getting all of the oil from the baster to the drain bucket and have a bit of clean-up after the job is done.

dp

Posted on: 2020/12/4 18:47
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

joey d
See User information
thank you mine has both the inlet and drain on the bottom will post some pics

Posted on: 2020/12/4 19:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The exact details will, of course, be different depending whether stock or aftermarket but essentially the same.

Posted on: 2020/12/4 20:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Mine doesn't have the optional oil partial filter, but I recall I investigated adding that. I'm familiar with GM and partial filters. My Cad has one, mostly a maintenance pain for what little they accomplish. You still get sludge.
There's been some pictures on here, but don't recall the "innards" being shown. U might search site/forum.

I'm under the impression/memory that these were made by various filter manufacturers, not Packard. So you might have to determine what brand you have and what filter it took. Kinda like the cars that came with autolite or Delco electricals. Packard didn't make standard things, brakes, etc. just the engine and frame. eg:Bodies were farmed out to Briggs, etc..

I'm sure someone will correct me since I'm going from memory.

Posted on: 2020/12/5 10:02
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

joey d
See User information
thank you, will keep looking , just seems like parts are missing, will run without a filter for now, you guys have been great help, will keep picking your brains as I go

Posted on: 2020/12/5 11:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
AC, Fram and Purolator were the primary suppliers of oil filters. They were similar but had differences.

Posted on: 2020/12/5 11:54
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
will run without a filter for now

Without knowing how your filter is plumbed into the oil circuit now I cannot offer actual suggestions. Just be careful on removal to not cut off the oil flow to the valve lifter gallery as has been done on some engines when people simply removed the filter and replaced line connections with plugs in the newly opened ports.

Make sure there is a connection between the two ports on the drivers side where the filter would normally tie in. The bottom port where the sender attaches is the pump output and when the filter is removed oil flow must be established into the upper port which feeds the lifter gallery. On engines without filters or those with partial bypass this is done with a curved jumper or pigtail tube connecting the two ports. When some filters are installed the jumper was removed and oil flows thru the filter first before going to the upper port to feed the lifter gallery.

If yours is some version of this configuration the jumper must be replaced when you remove the filter. If the filter is a later bypass version with return oil dropping directly into the crankcase via a port low on the block just above the oil pan then you can just plug the old filter supply port on the tee in the lower hole and put a plug in the crankcase port.

Here is a drawing showing how some filters before 51 were installed. This configuration needs the jumper (4) re-installed if the filter is removed.

Attach file:

jpg  (133.73 KB)
209_5fcbc091c2e23.jpg 1200X848 px

Posted on: 2020/12/5 12:19
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Here are some photos of the oil filter canister from a 22nd Series car, showing the outside, the bottom outlet, inside of the lid, the interior tube and the small metering hole in the tube.

Attach file:

jpg  (139.79 KB)
1137_5fcd9569b7fd3.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (217.34 KB)
1137_5fcd958295c6b.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (193.78 KB)
1137_5fcd959bb4f98.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (183.55 KB)
1137_5fcd95bb1da13.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (212.65 KB)
1137_5fcd95d84ba4a.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2020/12/6 21:39
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved