Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'55 Clipper TL Chassis at Salado
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
cli55 brought his 1955 Clipper Torsion Level Chassis to the 32nd Packard Meet in Salado this past weekend. We have all watched the progress he as made in restoring this chassis, and have felt sympathy when things went wrong. It is most impressive in the light of day and I thought folks here would enjoy looking at a few photos I took. It was great to meet and talk with him at the Meet. He has a question about two torch-cut holes in the left-hand side of the X-member. To me they look like someone cut the holes to install a dual exhaust system. Maybe others have another idea about these holes.

Attach file:

jpg  (12.06 KB)
565_49d2334787249.jpg 300X200 px

jpg  (10.02 KB)
565_49d23354f279c.jpg 300X200 px

jpg  (10.68 KB)
565_49d233611b58f.jpg 300X200 px

jpg  (13.28 KB)
565_49d2336e6d8b5.jpg 300X200 px

jpg  (13.38 KB)
565_49d2337a45b93.jpg 300X200 px

jpg  (13.00 KB)
565_49d2338a62190.jpg 300X200 px

jpg  (11.57 KB)
565_49d2339d633e9.jpg 300X200 px

jpg  (12.44 KB)
565_49d233a80068d.jpg 300X200 px

jpg  (11.05 KB)
565_49d233b41434b.jpg 300X200 px

Posted on: 2009/3/31 10:16
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: '55 Clipper TL Chassis at Salado
Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Awesome! Glad that he got it finished and the weather was good enough for him to get his chassis there. I'm sure many they were very impressed, as I know most of us on Packardinfo are.

Posted on: 2009/3/31 10:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
yeah, you know you really don't know how well you are doing until you get the attention i got when i came down. i didn't expect to get that much positive attention, but they say you are your own worst critic. i know i am. even got a honk and a thumbs up on the way down there by a passer by.

i got asked about the holes, more than i needed to know what they were....i am pretty sure they were there for dual exhaust, even though when i got the car it didn't have dual on it. all the hangers where there in the holes that 100% indicated that was the purpose of the holes.

i just found that that was one of the number one questions.....what are those holes there for....and why didn't you cover them......1. dual exhaust....2. i plan to use them for my own custom dual exhaust when the time comes.

JW....can you send me the full size images you took of my chassis, they are kinda small on here and i would like to appreciate them in full detail. you can email them to me. bimmerz3 at sbcglobal dot net

alittle bit of unknown for you guys, under my many layers of close i had on, i had the 1992 15th annual salado shirt on that belonged to my grandfather.....this was probably one of the last Packard meets he went to. it was an honor for me to where the shirt, i wish it was warmer so i could have showed it off.

thanks for the kind words

Hank

Posted on: 2009/3/31 11:16
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looked at the blog photos, can't see much detail but if we are talking about the large rough openings opposite the smooth ones on right x member believe your theory of dual exhaust is probably the right one--nothing else is reachable thru there as I recall unless possibly something on rear or side of trans.

Don't understand why necessary for exhaust though as I believe those openings were already there from the factory and were a mirror of the right side ones--unless someone had incredibly poor craftsmanship or was trying to stuff a 4 inch pipe thru wouldn't have thought any mods needed.

Posted on: 2009/3/31 11:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
yeah it is pretty stupid if you ask me. i have this vision of some dumbass hick kid cutting at it with a torch to fit some stupid cherry bombs.

i mean if they weren't there, one could have used a dang hole saw for goodness sakes!

wish i was there i would have slapped them right in the head!

Posted on: 2009/3/31 11:30
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Howdy: Just wanted to comment on frame holes for dual exhaust. Apparently Packard wised up sometime during the year, or at least got ready early for the '56 models. I have owned two different '55 Constellations that had factory holes in the frame for the installation of duals. One was 5567-6249, and one was 5567-6256. Imagine my surprise when a customer brought me another Constellation, slightly earlier--but I don't have the number--that had no holes on the left side. I took templates from a'56 at hand and cut the frame with a plasma cutter. If the man wants duals, he gets duals.

RM

Posted on: 2009/4/11 21:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That's another something I didn't know or would have guessed that there were two frames. Wonder if early cars might have had modified left over 54's. Thanks for sharing.

Hank, you keeping up with the forum? How are you doing?

Posted on: 2009/4/11 21:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
yeah, i am still here, pretty sore, but still here. i have been helping around the house and spending time with the family. i guess we all need a break from time to time. i have stopped by a couple of times, but haven't posted till now.

i haven't gotten the motor out to take pics either, but i will.

money is very tight right now with med bills, etc....so i wouldn't expect any progress to be happening on my Packard for some time now. plus my wife is starting school to be an RN soon, so that is also important to pay for. that is just the way it goes. probably just be piddling in the garage for now. oh well...;0)

the surgery went fine, very sick afterwards, but i am cool now, got a nice man peck now with this ICD poking my chest out LOL!

this car is a very early 55, 3/1/55 frame date. so i am not surprised that i have had to go to the 54 parts diagrams from time to time to get some things done. i have a couple of frame pics from another car that shows you what it should look like with the holes factory cut and i am very sure mine never looked like that based on parts of metal that are left behind on mine. i am pretty sure mine never had the holes there from the factory. which is another reason i am glad they are there, although the quality sucks, but i plan to use them for duals so it is okay.

i will be in the garage sometime soon, cleaning the pistons and taking pictures, but i have had to take it easy lately, but i am slowly getting back around now

later dude,

Hank

Attach file:

jpg  (88.08 KB)
491_49e208f5c0a4f.jpg 800X533 px

jpg  (85.93 KB)
491_49e209004cfa0.jpg 533X800 px

Posted on: 2009/4/12 10:30
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Hank, nice to hear from you and glad to hear that you are getting better. Please keep us posted on your recovery. Take care ...

Posted on: 2009/4/12 10:38
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Glad to hear you're on the mend too. Thank your doctor for giving you the "man pec" and not a boob--otherwise might have taken some very creative explaining..Helluva way to get it though.

Posted on: 2009/4/12 11:17
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved