Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
75 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 74

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: 2009 CCCA Grand Classic in NJ
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Dave, thank you for the wonderful pictures. We couldn't all go but you brought the flavor of that great assemblage to us. Maybe, many like me were left sort of speechless, but trust me - we all enjoyed looking at such priceless iron.

Posted on: 2009/4/20 23:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Dave, Let me add my thanks for posting the photos also. I love all those Classics.

Posted on: 2009/4/21 7:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Dave, I too would like to thank you for posting these photos. Are you going to include them in the new Car Show section? Noticing the engine compartment of the 1921 Rolls Royce, I believe, from looking at the engine compartment photo, that it is not a Springfield built car. A few years ago we had two RRs in the Blackhawk, one from Crewe and the other a Springfield. One of the docents who is a RR expert did a compare and contrast talk about the two engine compartments. The Springfield was a more simplified design than the Crewe car. I don't recall seeing the Merrimack at Pebble Beach last year. I will check my photos again. It looks to be a great Packard. Thanks again.

Posted on: 2009/4/21 10:57
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Good eyes, John. The Ghost is not a Springfield; body by Parker. Perhaps the Merrimac was at Pebble the year before?

Glad you're all enjoying the pictures. Here's a front and rear shot of a 1934 Twelve 1106 LeBaron coupe, one of 4(?) built. If so, all 4 remain, 3 in NJ and one in MA. One was nearly totally destroyed in a fire in the 60s but survives after a superhuman restoration effort. This one is, I believe, #1 of the run, and perhaps was either not sold immediately and kept by Packard and upgraded with a 35/36 nose clip (but retained the 34 12 bumper) and treated to a padded roof and enclosed quarter windows, or perhaps the first buyer brought it back for modification. I'm sure the story is known, just that I don't know it. In any case I'll include a photo of one of the others taken at the Greenwich CT Concours a few years back so you can see the differences.

Attach file:

jpg  (114.28 KB)
177_49ee2cfb6a966.jpg 1211X792 px

jpg  (110.87 KB)
177_49ee2d0808a44.jpg 1211X793 px

jpg  (136.69 KB)
177_49ee2d1d71f7b.jpg 1211X793 px

Posted on: 2009/4/21 12:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Two last photos from the Grand Classic. A 1933 1001 sedan, and a 1932 convertible coupe, possibly a 902, but with the not-often-seen tonneau windscreen, a rare accessory. I think there would be a better color choice for the wheels, silver or gray or even blue, but to each his own.

Attach file:

jpg  (113.87 KB)
177_49ee2d86b57c8.jpg 1223X781 px

jpg  (116.67 KB)
177_49ee2d90bd96b.jpg 1049X781 px

Posted on: 2009/4/21 15:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
This second windscreen of the 1932 convertible isn't in front of the second seat row but of the rumble seats.

Not sure if I understand the question, the 1932 is a coupe, not a 4 dr convertible sedan as you pictured. So the second row of seats IS the rumble seat. Or did I miss something in your question?

One last photo (I promise) I should have posted earlier. It's a bit of irony that these two parked side by side; both are prewar chassis, both 1939 to be exact. And both weren't bodied until after the war. The red car is of course the Vignale Packard. 1931 Pierce Arrow convertible sedan adjacent.

Tonneau windscreen, regardless of any advice from Dan Webster or Messers. Funk & Wagnalls, is what the accessory companies that made them usually called them, and what Packard called them as well (see the 34 accessory catalog for a reference).

Attach file:

jpg  (108.40 KB)
177_49ee4624b1696.jpg 1071X787 px

Posted on: 2009/4/21 17:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
Dave,

Regarding the Vignale Packard. Wasn't it on the 1939 120 chassis? Does it qualify as a CCCA Classic because it's a one off custom body?

Very interesting contrast with the RR.

Posted on: 2009/4/21 18:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Regarding the Vignale Packard. Wasn't it on the 1939 120 chassis? Does it qualify as a CCCA Classic because it's a one off custom body?

I'm not sure what today's statement is, but it used to be "when fitted with meritorious coachwork" that allowed a non-classic chassis to be accepted as a True Classic. The CCCA has quite a few examples, including a Ford and Oldsmobile or two.

Posted on: 2009/4/21 18:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
But again: I'm anything but sure - it is quite possible that I am mistaken. Perhaps it is absolute correct to call it Tonneau window, although it's not under the roof.

I'm still not certain where you're coming from or where you want to go on this, sorry, I'm just thick-headed I guess. As you know car manufacturers were at times pretty loose with the terminology, for example the recent VW Phaeton which of course was just a sedan. GM had a habit of calling later convertible sedans phaetons. And dozens of other examples. The CCCA has a kind of expert in coachwork, Walt Gosden, and I'd be glad toask him for a definition if you want to phrase the question exactly as you'd like it.

A tonneau windscreen could be on a rumble-seat convertible coupe, or a phaeton, or a touring, or a dual cowl phaeton, under roof or not. Even on a regular 4-5 passenger convertible, Packard offered them as late as 1950 for the convertible coupe of that year. And that's an accessory that's REALLY rare. The modern things you pictured are tonneau covers, not tonneau windscreens, is this what's confusing the matter?

Posted on: 2009/4/21 18:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
"Owen

Thanks for posting the pictures for me. I'm not up to a scanner yet.

The owner of the red Silver Ghost started out with a very bare chassis. He designed and built the body himself. He has a sill plate that reads "Calvin and Hobbs"

There was also a fine Cricklewood Bentley there- I don't know if it was a 4 1/2 liter or a Speed Six. The most interesting "modern " car was a very late Citroen Traction Avant with a 6 cylinder engine and a very early hydraulic suspension system.

I'll start another discussion...My pictures were taken with a Voigtlander Vitessa folding 35 mm rangefinder from about 1954. It has the more expensive Ultron (Planar type) lens. Film is Walgreen 400 which I understand is Fuji film. I'm not ready for digital yet and film is fine for my limited purposes. I've got a raft of mechanical cameras but I use the Voitlander most often. People are starting to give me their old cameras to get rid of them. They're plotting to take over my apartment

The show was lots of fun. I'm trying to figure out how to get an Isotta into my budget

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2009/4/21 23:02
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved