Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 166

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

Re: BRAKES: Easamatic Power Brakes aka Bendix Treadle-Vac--Change or Not??
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Bill Pauley
See User information
Funny you mention NAPA. I go in our local store a lot and live just a few miles from a major Warehouse for Napa. I already had asked about brake parts and they had all the wheel cylinders available in the warehouse for less than 10 bucks each. Wish that they had the Bendix Treadle-Vac unit. they had a listing for just a master cylinder but not the Booster unit. I plan to rebuild the brakes as stock to make the car Stop for now.

Posted on: 2019/8/6 19:30
Life is what you make of it, Plan for the worse and hope for the best!
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Bill Pauley
See User information
I am not sure of the rules for adding a link to a post. This is the company that shows a booster/Master Cylinder as well as a front disc brake conversion using your spindles. Not cheap by any means but they say they have it.

https://www.classicdiscbrakes.com/51-56-Packard-Power-Brake-Booster-Master-cylinders_c25.htm

I have not purchased anything from them, nor do I have any connection what so ever with the company. Just passing along what I found. Bill

Posted on: 2019/8/7 18:28
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you are interested in that Classic disc unit you might want to get more info on the booster unit they seem to be promoting as part of the kit. What they show is a typical universal booster and master as sold by Master Power Brakes or ABS power brake and that particular unit will not fit and work in the original spot with the original pedal.

There have been slightly smaller units mounted in the original location but the pedal was seriously modified to get a workable ratio. The pedal mods are quite apparent when looking inside the car. Even though it seems to have been successful on a couple of cars MPB has advised others wanting the same conversion the single 7" booster that will fit in the original location is marginal in size and they consider it too small for such a large car.

Many wanting a modern booster have opted to go with a larger unit similar to the one shown and reposition the entire unit higher by installing it in the space the Left side air vent is located. Doing that will require some structural reinforcement to the firewall and converting to a completely different suspended pedal setup.

Posted on: 2019/8/7 18:53
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
To my knowledge, Packard had nothing to do with the development of the Easamatic brake system. As for rebuilding it, one of the most complete kits I've ever found is sold by Cadillac Parts Ltd and seem to be very high quality with excellent instructions. No need to spend many hundreds of dollars having yours rebuilt and, as I said, it is very easy to do yourself. No sense having an old car and not learning how to work on it!

Posted on: 2019/8/7 19:53
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don, Did you drill out the relief port in the new casting when you did yours or decide to leave it blocked? I remember back when the major BTV failure discussions were going on Fred said he had found some rebuilds that had apparently been done by a well known rebuilder with the relief port filled with silicone. It would be really interesting to know when or if Bendix started blocking the port and whether the later versions had done something different with the seals so as not to need it or if the undrilled casting was someone elses idea.

Posted on: 2019/8/7 20:01
Howard
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Bill Pauley
See User information
Thanks for all the responses as well as the info from home away from home. I am sure that I could rebuild my unit with a kit. My concern is that part of the rebuild price is the liability should there be a future failure and litigation that would certainly result from any loses.

Posted on: 2019/8/8 10:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I doubt you'll get any liability insurance from any other rebuilder either. They'll replace or repair a defective unit but that's it.

Posted on: 2019/8/8 11:16
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information

Posted on: 2019/8/8 15:16
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
Don, Did you drill out the relief port in the new casting when you did yours or decide to leave it blocked? I remember back when the major BTV failure discussions were going on Fred said he had found some rebuilds that had apparently been done by a well known rebuilder with the relief port filled with silicone. It would be really interesting to know when or if Bendix started blocking the port and whether the later versions had done something different with the seals so as not to need it or if the undrilled casting was someone elses idea.

Howard, sorry for the delay but I've been relatively offline all day in a mountainous area of south western Oregon. I've not yet decided what to do about the port but will probably drill it and it shouldn't take much to do so. For common rebuilds, though, the original cylinder is probably fine but in my case I'm rebuilding a unit from a parts car that has a master cylinder that's borderline with corrosion so better to replace it.

Posted on: 2019/8/8 19:15
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved