Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
171 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 169

Alvin14, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

Re: Autoworld Brussel Belgium
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
Why Borgward failed in the U.S. market was their cars weren't up to the mechanical rigors of road conditions i.e. hour after hour of high-speed sustained operation ...

Steve (58L8134), where if not in Germany a car has to drive hour after hour at high-speed?

Quote:
...They were also perceived as expensive for what could be purchased for the same money. ...

The opposite is true or at least the wording doesn't reflect the prevailing opinions of writers on this subject. The Isabella's haven't been designated for the U.S. market but customers in overseas bought them in spite because of the breakneck exchange rate of 1$ : 4.2 Deutschmark.

image source: amazon.com

Attach file:

jpg  (37.19 KB)
757_565214fbee7be.jpg 278X628 px

Posted on: 2015/11/22 14:18
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Guscha

If what's written in this Borgward overview of the corporate troubles at the time is true, their qualities to compete in the American market are moot.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2013/11/13/bremens-best-a-brief-history-of-the-borgward-automobile/

At $3,750 U.S. for the 1960 Isabella coupe put it in an extremely disadvantageous position relative to other cars of its type here. The major one would be the Corvair Monza which base priced at about $2,200, would take considerable optioning up to arrive at the Isabella entry price.

Shortly, the compact segment would be flooded with choices sporting four speed sticks, bucket seats, V6 and V8 engines, even turbocharging, squeezing out import competitors. As far as dealer coverage, 500 plus was less than what Studebaker had at the time, spread thinly over this vast country. Studebaker sales were hampered by that lack of dealer representation as well, in addition to all the other problems they faced.

Steve

Posted on: 2015/11/23 8:35
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Steve (58L8134), correct me if I am wrong but the previous day their quality was the reason to fail in the U.S market. To quote you:

Quote:
Why Borgward failed in the U.S. market was their cars weren't up to the mechanical rigors of road conditions...

Now the talk revolves exclusively around the price (and the quality took a backseat).
And there is another shift. The previous day it was about the perception of their price. To quote you:

Quote:
They were also perceived as expensive for what could be purchased for the same money...

Now the talk is about their price (and the price perception took a backseat as well).
If that means that the price was comparatively high but quality and price perception were competitive, then I agree.
Consequently, the majority of the Borgward Isabella coupes made their way into the U.S.market, when Hemmings is to be believed and to invoke the same source as you (but a different edition):

"The Isabella was a bull's-eye in the mid-priced sedan market segment."

Click to see original Image in a new window

image source: vintage-original-ads.com

Posted on: 2015/11/24 23:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Another car with ongoing identity crisis is the below shown mid-1930s ambulance.

In spring it was labeled as 1927 Single Six.

Now it serves under 1928 Model 533 "Saloon".

Attach file:

jpg  (71.76 KB)
757_565b13caf271d.jpg 1052X700 px

jpg  (35.66 KB)
757_565b2434d4317.jpg 525X700 px

Posted on: 2015/11/29 10:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
What part of "1934" don't they get? Since it says "saloon" I'm suprised they didn't call it a Rolls-Royce!

Posted on: 2015/11/29 10:35
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
What part of "1934" don't they get? ...

The second part.
A little odd for a museum to trifle with the own appearance, I admit. Well, it can't be helped.
Last month the focus of the touring exhibition was on muscle cars.

Attach file:

jpg  (13.41 KB)
757_566c0415b5255.jpg 500X206 px

jpg  (67.01 KB)
757_566c0438b386e.jpg 933X700 px

Posted on: 2015/12/12 6:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...There is an other museum : D'Ieteren Gallery (D'ieteren is the family that have the market for Volkswagen-product distribution in Belgium, and in the past, they were Packard-Studebaker official dealers).

So they have a lot of Studebaker and Packard in this Museum...[Emmanuel on 2015/11/19]

I've tried to gain entrance into what promises to be a superior collection of all kind of cars but that isn't easy. What you need are two things, a group of 15 people and an invitation. According to the receptionist the odds are long, especially in the summertime.
O_D did his best to promote the name D'Ieteren. For years there are interesting hints and appetizers:

-> 2007/12/11
-> 2010/2/2
-> 2010/12/17
-> 2012/1/23
-> 2012/5/9
-> 2013/9/10
-> 2014/11/4

Posted on: 2016/7/5 5:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
After oiling my telephone voice I called the above mentioned receptionist (female). To struggle against a bad patch extends them. It turned out that the museum is closed for renovation. But thereafter things took an unexpected turn. She advised me to chance my luck with the help of another telephone number. I called and got an invitation for the next day (today). The door opened a tiny crack ... for me alone.

-> To be continued.

Attach file:

jpg  (84.82 KB)
757_577d7be966457.jpg 1077X606 px

Posted on: 2016/7/6 16:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
I was fortunate to visit the museum about 20 years ago. One of my favorite museums!!!!
I made a video of the entire collection as I walked around and talked to the camera.
As I was leaving, the Director of the Museum stopped me and pressured me to pay an admission for my camcorder....
It was well worth it. I have enjoyed revisiting the museum numerous time.
At the time, there was also a custom '47 limo with a clam shell top to allow the owner (a Catholic Bishop) to enter without bending over because of back problems.

Posted on: 2016/7/6 22:04
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved